The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2011, 12:13 AM   #26
Stick_man

A lot of the advantages of using the Barnes bullets have already been discussed. I grew up just a few miles from their production facilities and have had opportunity to shoot many of their fine bullets. I must say that the original X-bullets were very difficult to get good accuracy from. The next generation XLC bullets were a coated all-copper bullet that improved a bit on the accuracy. The TSX bullets seem to be pretty much "match grade" and are very capable of excellent accuracy. They are a bit finicky on loading, but once you find the sweet spot, they dial in like a dream. Haven't tried any of the new TTSX, but I suspect they would outperform the Nosler Ballistic-tips and the Hornady V-Max bullets or at least perform as well as them.

The all copper bullets allow for a longer bullet for a given weight (resulting in a better BC). They also expand beautifully as well as retain greater percentages of their original weight, often upwards of 95%. They have no lead core to separate from a jacket. The TSX (and probably the TTSX) perform as well as any of the "premium" type bullets and outperform most of them. Because they are longer in any given weight, they like the faster twist rates in the barrels. Most perform very well with a 10" twist, but few will stabilize with a 12" or slower twist.

Their varmint bullets (Varmint Grenade) are also very picky about twist rates. Some guns simply don't like them. For those guns that do like them, they really love them. They perform exactly like advertised. They are very frangible and literally leave nothing more than a puff of red where the little varmints once were.

For deer or antelope, I would personally choose a good jacketed lead-core bullet because the need for an ultra high-performance bullet is not there. If I was on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt or going for a trophy elk or moose, I would choose the TSX or TTSX in a heartbeat for the better performance.

They are definitely pricey, but in this case, I believe you get what you pay for.
Old March 4, 2011, 02:07 AM   #27
Win_94

I'd like to try some of those bullets but they are so expensive!
Old March 4, 2011, 08:03 AM   #28
huntinaz

Quote:
FWIW, my Springfield O3A3 does not appear to like them. I loaded some up and could not get it to group well. During the same range session I was able to tighten it back up to 1MOA w/ my Harnaday 150gr load.
elkman06
From what I've heard you have to clean all the copper fouling out of your barrel before you try and group copper bullets. The guilding metal is different than standard copper jacketing and apparently only likes its own fouling. I did this and have 2 rifles that shoot them very well. Still haven't zipped one through a game animal yet si I cannot vouch for their performance. I've heard good things.

I was against it at first too, I hate hippies as bad as Eric Cartman does. But after report after report of the "thor's hammer effect" and yada yada, I had to try them. Again, all I can say so far is that they are accurate.