The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Brutus

CZ 85 Combat

Haven't had a high cap 9mm for about 25 years when I sold my HiPower to get a Gold cup. Always figured 7 45's were better than 13 9's but, I got the bug after handling a two tone 75B. After convincing myself the justification would be in cheaper range ammo, I began researching. Decided on a two tone 85 combat,would have loved a shadow target but for $1250 it was out of the question.
Pro's
1. Great ergonomics, feels like it belongs in my hand.
2. Fit & finish comparable to a higher end pistol.
3. Excellent accuarcy, better than other service grade pistols I have shot.
4. best value for the money I had budgeted.
Con's
1. It's a 9.
2. 3 magazines is a box of ammo (so much for cheaper ammo).
3. Gritty trigger (sort of fixed with a lot of trigger pulling on snap caps)
4. Cheap plastic grips.

After all is said and done I bought, extra magazines,gun rug and some Houge rosewood grips. I guess that means it's a keeper.
Old February 25, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Check into the soft rubber factory grips. They look exactly like the cheap plastic but are much more comfortable and practical.

Consider a trigger job, too -- as the 85 Combat, because it doesn't have the firing pin block, lends itself to "tuning" more easily than the other CZs.

Mine is satin nickel, and I've been shooting it off and off for 7-8 years. (Had a problem when I first got it, with the mag locking back when it shouldn't. My gunsmith noticed copper smudges on the slide stop, took a bit of metal off, and it's been flawless since. He had already done a small trigger clean up, and I had him install a Champion sear. I'm not sure the sear was really needed, but I had heard that they were better/harder.)

Great gun. (Not the best picture. I'll do better, next time.)

Old February 25, 2011, 07:43 PM   #3
John Eastwood

You should do whatever it takes to scrounge up the money for the Kadet .22 conversion. I CANNOT get the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my Glock 22 because I can't find one. My dealer, for Advantage Arms, had to get his off of Ebay...lame.
Old February 25, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Brutus

Thanks for the grip tip but I'm an old fart and I gotta have some wood.
Can't even bring myself to getting a composite stock for my rifle, even though I know it would lesson the load in the woods. Bought and AR15 some years back and I'm still looking for wood stocks for it.
Forgot to add that the pistol has been 100% reliable from round 1 to 500.
Another reason I bought the CZ is because I'm an Upper penninsula Bohunk of Czech descent. I named her Ivanka.

Last edited by Brutus; February 25, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

the CZ Custom shop has reasonably priced and very attractive grips, and two vendors who participate on the CZ Forum also offer great, gorgeous grips.

(I mean THIS CZ Forum -- there are several: http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=20688.0)

Here's some Flame Ambonia grips that I once had mounted on a CZ Compact:

I also had an extended slide release on that gun, but let it go with the gun, 4-5 years ago.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
tekarra

Walt,
Those grips look real nice.
Do you remember where you got the extended slide release?
Old February 25, 2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Extended slide release came from a friend, Eric Larsen of HBE Specialty Leatherworks. He came across a couple, 4-5 years ago, and I've not seen them anywhere, since. I regret NOT keeping the ones on that gun when I sold it.

(The grips were a drawing prize on the old CZ Forum -- Hakin Pek made the grips, and another craftsman -- never got his name -- checkered them, before I won them.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 25, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Ruthless4christ

wood stocks for ar-15

brutus, if you are looking for wooden ar stocks, check out brownells, they have some really nice ones.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Xfire68

Your going to love your CZ! Buy 2!

http://www.aac300blackoutbrass.com A Veteran owned Business.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:53 PM   #10
zombieslayer

I agree with the OP that CZ's are of very high quality. And they're very capable performers.
Old February 25, 2011, 09:02 PM   #11
schmeky

After shooting, modifying, and building semi-customs using CZ's, I have come to the conclusion that for the money, they are an excellent base from which to build.

They have some idiosyncrises and quirks, but that's what gives them personality and charisma. You can still find NIB 75's for under $500.00.

I would be difficult to argue with how they feel in the hand and how well they shoot. The CZ in the picture has been 100% since day one and it will feed anything.
Old February 25, 2011, 09:21 PM   #12
mavracer

I think a CZ85 Combat with Hogue rosewoods would show exellent taste.

OH and here's mine LOL
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 27, 2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Brutus

Thanks for the feedback. A few questions for Mr. Walt, How durable is the satin nickle finish? Whats CZ's turn around time for custom work?
I would like to have the front and backstrap checkered as well as some trigger work.
Old February 27, 2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

I think the satin nickel is the most durable of the CZ finishes. (That's with the caveat that the stainless guns don't have a "finish" per se, but are just stainless polished to several different levels of gloss. The 85 Combat, however, doesn't come in stainless. That's a shame, as I'd probably get a matte stainless 85 Combat.)

My 85 Combat is 8+ years old, and still looks like new, despite a lot of use over the years, including a couple of years of pretty heavy IDPA matches.

You will have to clean the Nickel from time to time, as your hand oils will darken the finish a bit around the front strap and safety area. CZ's Shop recommends Flitz -- which is primarily a chemical (rather than abrasive) metal cleaner.

That said, the polycoat finish is very durable, and a lot less trouble to maintain than the blued finish (which is rarely seen). If it does get nicked or scratched, you can touch it up with matte black auto body touch-up paint. (Dupli-color makes a perfect match.) Buy a spray can, and spray some onto a piece of aluminum foil (or cheap pie plate) and then use a small brush to apply the paint on the foil to the scratch or nick. (The spray paint is THINNER than the paint in the small touch-up bottle, and applies more evenly.)

The CZ Custom shop has the best answer about turnaround time. I've always heard they were very quick. In fact, you can often buy the gun from them, have them do the work, and have it shipped to a dealer/FFL near you, and save a bit on shipping costs. Contact them directly -- you'll find a phone number or email address somewhere on their site. I suspect they have better access to all the various models than most distributors.

http://czcustom.com/cz-custom-work.aspx

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 27, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:08 PM   #15
ausher

i just bought s cz 75d compact for a carry gun. i havent heard anything bad about cz and it felt the best in my hands compared to other guns in its price range.
Old February 28, 2011, 06:35 AM   #16
ROCK6

The CZ 85 is my favorite CZ (close second is the P-01). I too recommend getting the Kadet .22LR conversion...it's one of the best coversions I own as far as reliability.

ROCK6
Old February 28, 2011, 02:50 PM   #17
Brutus

Houge grips

Well my Rosewood grips came in today Ivanka sure looks purty.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0580.jpg (225.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Brutus; February 28, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old February 28, 2011, 04:39 PM   #18
overkill0084

The plastic grips are pretty bad. Functional, maybe. Ugly, without a doubt.
I ordered the walnut grips from the CZ store. They are quite nice.
Oh and +1 on the Kadet kit. Worth every cent.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1296854132
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 28, 2011, 04:49 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
Thanks for the grip tip but I'm an old fart and I gotta have some wood.
I'm in the same time zone-and I like 'em checkered to boot. Take a look at the Hogue company offerings. I've got a set of their Coco Bolo, checkered walnut grips on my Model 85 that I'm especially proud of.
Old February 28, 2011, 04:59 PM   #20
Barbicatter

Ivanka looks sharp! Congratulations
Old March 1, 2011, 12:00 AM   #21
Distortion

I hate to mention this, but the CZ Custom Shop does have a two-tone Shadow Target for less than $1250. This is one with the SA style frame with no rail.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:15 AM   #22

I picked up my CZ 85 Combat several years ago and it's one of the best nines I've ever shot. Maybe I just lucked out, but, my trigger is absolutely flawless, after a break in of about 300 rds.. Mine will stay inside 3 inches at 25yds, even with cheap steel cased ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ85 Combat sm.jpg (40.0 KB, 24 views)
Old March 1, 2011, 09:26 AM   #23
larryh1108

Nothing like beautiful wood to dress up your gun!

Old March 19, 2011, 02:44 PM   #24
ausher

My gun got wood too!