The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 23, 2011, 09:29 AM   #26
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Akins
Coincidentally I just watched True Grit again last night. I didn't look that closely at the girl's father's Dragoon. But are you telling me that the Duke and his movie property master/firearms provider used a Walker and called it a Dragoon? I've still got the movie saved in my cable saved show listing, I'll have to view it again and fast forward to when they show the revolver so I can look at it more closely. If they used a Walker and called it a Dragoon, I have to wonder why they didn't just use a Dragoon? I mean the Duke knew firearms, he worked with them all his life. Strange.
A Walker is a Dragoon. That is, an 1847 Walker Dragoon. All it really means is that it is a revolver intended for use by a horse mounted soldier. So, they did get it right....and it was a Walker.
Old February 25, 2011, 11:01 PM   #27
Series70

Movie refs

But are you telling me that the Duke and his movie property master/firearms provider used a Walker and called it a Dragoon?

I just read True Grit again a few days ago, and Mattie had her father's Dragoon. The line in the movie came from the book, I'd bet, and the prop master probably didn't think the Dragoon looked unwieldy enough.

Gus McRae carried a Dragoon in Lonesome Dove, too, as I recall. See the saloon scene where he tosses a shot glass and shoots it in the air to get the attention of some smart-alecks.