The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old February 17, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Rachen

Loading Black Powder Cartridges By Hand (Questions)

I prefer not to shoot commercially loaded smokeless powder factory cowboy action rounds because the powder is exceptionally dirty and leaves carbon everywhere. With the smoke and dust produced by these rounds, I might as well be using authentic black powder rounds

However, recently I am taken to reloading my own cartridges (.45 LC and .45 Schofield) since I have a gazillion of these cases available. I don't own a full handloading set nor do I want to spend too much money on it either.

I want to load these cartridges using 777 or another BP substitute and seat the bullets by hand. Has anyone here ever done this before? How was the accuracy and performance of these "hand"loads?

Member of the Order of the Confederate Rose
Old February 20, 2011, 01:03 AM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, Rachen. You might want to look into the Lyman 310 tool. These are simple nut-cracker type tools..look like a big pair of pliers..but are quite capable of turning out first class ammunition..can only neck size though..no problem if you keep brass for each gun seperate.
Old February 20, 2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Hawg

777 is finicky. It doesn't like compression but air space must be eliminated. It may do ok in a cartridge loaded on a press where consistency in loading can be achieved but in cap and ball revolvers and rifles it's inconsistent.
Old February 20, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
jackpine

you'll need to have a propper reloading set up. To get a good burn you'll need a good solid crimp and you get that with a good press and a set of good ol 45 dies.
Old February 21, 2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Duplicate closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread