The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Gerry

The Chinese and Firearm Safety

We North Americans only have 4 basic firearm safety rules. The Chinese have no less than 12!

These are a few excerpts from the safety sections of the Norinco NP-17 manual word-for-word:

Quote:
6. Never climb trees, do hurdle race or leap over other obstacle with loaded pistol.

7. Before shooting, must determine a correct target. Never take road signs, trees, etc. as firing targets, because this kind of firing is not shooting sport.

9. Before making shooting, must make sure if there are any chock-er in barrel, and choose suitable type of bullet.

12. Don't take part in shooting sport while being drunk or after taking any anaesthetics.
This handgun is worth the money just for the manual.

They have a section in the manual titled: "Dismounting the Pistol". It then goes on to describe how to disassemble (field strip) it, and ends at step 5, saying:

Quote:
5. Dismount the percussion hammer mechanism. Till now, no further dismount is required.
The first time I read these directions, I literally had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.
Old December 30, 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
cambeul41

I just checked the manual for the S&W M&P. It had 23 safety rules.

By the way, how is your Chinese?
Old December 30, 2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Gerry

Yeah, but I bet the M&P manual didn't warn you about hurdle racing with your loaded pistol

As far as how it works, it shoots surprisingly accurate without any FTF/FTE incidents within the last many hundred rounds. It's so simple that there's little to go wrong with it. I also like the way the wrap around grip feels in my hand. It's unbelievably easy to strip, clean, and reassemble. The finish on the Norinco pistols has also really improved within the last few years.

The backwards safety sucks and is just plain stupid. Being a straight blowback, it's nearly impossible to work the slide without cocking it first (although this has gotten much easier as it gets broken in).

I should mention that this is the ultra-cheap $199 two-toned "improved" Tokarev clone (in 9mm). Norinco makes pretty faithful (but rougher) copies of CZ and Sig models, along with a line of 1911s whose parts are for the most part interchangeable with the real deal.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:24 PM   #4
ritepath

Always observe manners and enjoy healthy sport shooting.

The chi-coms really need to invest in translators.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:25 PM   #5
B. Lahey

Check out the Norinco M4 manual...

Who wouldn't want to enjoy a better annihilating firepower to kill those pesky group active objects?

Old December 30, 2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Kleinzeit

Points, cambeul41.

Not sure if they were taken?
Old December 31, 2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Kleinzeit

Daisy lists ten rules for shooting their BB guns.
Old December 31, 2010, 05:41 PM   #8
MLeake

kleinzeit and cambeul41...

... their English is probably light-years ahead of most of our Mandarin or Cantonese.

But that's still funny. Hurdle races...

If the Chinese have some comparable copies of horrible English to Chinese translation, and I'd bet they do, I won't be offended if they laugh their butts off at those. Same goes for things that are just plain weird. Such as hurdle races...
Old December 31, 2010, 06:37 PM   #9
HeroHog

I once bought a cheap Chinese Motherboard for my computer. It had "Defaulty" settings. Turned out NOT to be a misprint! :barf:
Old December 31, 2010, 09:26 PM   #10
B.N.Real

I thought the Chinese had one rule for firearms safety .

Only the government can own firearms.
Old January 1, 2011, 03:21 AM   #11
xMINORxTHREATx

Once saw a Korean knife set at Target.

Label said "Warning:Keep out of children."

Really? haha
Old January 1, 2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Carne Frio

Chinglish can be very good entertainment, but I prefer engrish.

Here is a link to some great chinglish:

http://www.engrish.com/category/chinglish/
Old January 1, 2011, 11:02 AM   #13
egor20

One of my boarders is from Hong Kong and went to Eton then Sandhurst, getting him and my wife together I always feel that RUBE is tattooed on my forehead. But he's a damn good hunting partner, even if he does talks funny.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 1, 2011, 10:32 PM   #14
cycleguru

My grandson got a Chinese RC helicopter for Christmas. On the box it said, "It will take away your endless fun". It flew for about 20 seconds before he crashed and broke it. Guess the box was right. It really did take away his endless fun!
Old January 1, 2011, 11:01 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Quote:
Being a straight blowback... Tokarev clone
Strange, every Tokarev I have seen was Browning tilt-lock recoil operated, not blowback. Excepting the .22 of course.

Maybe they didn't translate that part for you.
Old January 2, 2011, 01:16 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

we shorten everything!

People today talk about the "4 rules" as if there were no others. There are, and always have been. The first 4 are primary for safe handling, but all the others are equally important for general safety.

These used to be taught to most of us in Hunter safety courses. The courses still teach the same good rules, but not nearly so many people today ever attend one.

When I was young, there were the 10 Commandments of gun safety. There still are. Focusing on 4 of them (and worse yet, not knowing about the others) is an educational deficiency, and should be corrected.

For a hurdle race, would a full flap holster be the best rig?
Old January 10, 2011, 12:12 AM   #17
EdInk

If I can't use it while running track and field events, then maybe YOU can tell me how the heck I'm supposed to compete with all those guys that actually run and practice?
Old January 10, 2011, 10:19 AM   #18
quatin

Quote:
I thought the Chinese had one rule for firearms safety .

Only the government can own firearms.
That's plain old commie hatin' propaganda that gave you that idea.

Like most of the rest of the world, China allows guns for hunting. It actually has the 3rd largest private armory in the world. You can't go around comparing other countries to the US. Most countries are anti-gun compared to the freedoms you enjoy here.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL2834893820070828

Those aren't the "generic safety rules" you're thinking off, they're just manual warnings written by lawyers. Usually, an accident has happened in the manner they described. Someone probably ran a "mall ninja-esque" tactical obstacle course with a rifle and shot themselves. Ruger also has that phrase in their 10/22 manual.
"Never climb a tree or fence with a loaded firearm."
Old January 10, 2011, 10:59 AM   #19
MLeake

There's a difference between climbing trees, or over fences, and "hurdle races".

The first two are done on a fairly regular basis by hunters. Correct form is not to do it with weapon in hand. Set it down, retrieve in safe manner (rope, reach through fence, etc.)

I know a guy who almost got shot by a hunting partner who set a loaded, chambered rifle down as they were about to climb over. (Should not have a chambered round for fence and tree climbing, IMO). Rifle got knocked over as guy climbed up fence, shot the round between my friend's feet.

No injuries, but he never went hunting with that guy again.

Seems every season, some hunter shoots himself while climbing into or out of a tree-stand, too.

But I can't recall anybody running hurdle races with a weapon.

Of course, this could be a case where the manual makes sense in its original language, and the translator they hired was not quite competent.

But it's still funny.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:38 AM   #20
RimfireChris

Look at an airsoft gun manual sometime, there's some howlers in those too.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:44 AM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Of course, this could be a case where the manual makes sense in its original language, and the translator they hired was not quite competent.
Yes, I suspect that the word for "climb", particularly if modified by "over" or something similar, is close the translation to "jump" and/or "hurdle". Possibly, there is supposed to be an admonition to not "run" or "jump" with a firearm. The combination of possibilities for translation leads to "hurdle" rather than jump and "race" rather than run. Since punctuation is probably not entirely understood and properly translated.... we have "hurdle race" instead of "Don't jump or run."
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:09 PM   #22
Scorch

If you want to have a perplexing experience, you can play "Babelfish Post-Office". It's kind of like playing Post Office or Telephone when you were a kid (you know, say something to the person next to you, and they repeat it to the person on the other side, etc, and when it gets back to you it's nowhere near what you said to begin the game), only with translating software. After three or four translations, it gets wierd. Humorous, but still wierd.

And sometimes, the issue is literal translations of idioms. I have numerous stories about that from having traveled around the world.
Taylor Machine
Old January 11, 2011, 12:23 PM   #23
gunmoney

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=38&ty=63

Kind of ironic, don't you think?
Old January 11, 2011, 12:30 PM   #24
britrecko

chinese 9mm pistol current issue

does any one know where i can buy a clip?
Old January 11, 2011, 03:20 PM   #25
RimfireChris

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can buy a clip?
Now you've done it! For what though, the the NP-17? Probably a gun show, Cheaper than Dirt might have some too.