The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Sturmgewehre

PSOP 8x42 Scope for AK's

If you're thinking about a PSOP scope for your AK, check out this review I published this week about my 8x42 PSOP scope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ3N5sCEabA

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Crosshair

Quote:
"You do have to use somewhat delicate tools." *Picture of mallet and screwdriver pops up on screen*

Reminds me of working on circuit boards with a saw-zall.

I do think you need to downplay the issue with the scope being offset. I have never found it to be an issue if you sight the gun in properly. Just zero it to the right for however far offset the scope it, 1/2" IIRC (Too comfy in my chair to go get my Saiga and measure.), and you'll be fine for the size targets the gun is intended for. The bullet will impact a fraction of an inch to the right of the POI, but it will do so at any range, then you only have to worry about elevation and wind.
Old December 27, 2010, 03:57 AM   #3
bamaranger

on a PSL/SSG

Got one on a PSL 7.62x54R. (well actually, its stamped SSG-97) Had a heck of a time getting the mount to secure on the bracket, but once adjusted, it has stayed. I will NEVER take it off,.............. again. NOTE there are a variety of Soviet side rails, and certain clamps will only fit certain rails. KNOW before you buy.

The "clicks" are pretty coarse, can't remember exactly, but definitely not US type 1/4 MOA. More like 1 MOA. No kidding.

Mine has been repeatable. I've had it out in the rain a bit, no fogging. The non centered reticle takes some getting used to. I set up a target 1.5 meters tall and ranged and shot at it out to 400 yds + w/ no probs. But at 5- 600 plus it was a roll of the dice,more of the limit of the rifle than of the scope.

The lit reticle is neat and I have carried it on purpose for some evening hunts for deer in shooting houses for that reason. No deer w/ a PSL......yet.

I down loaded the entire scope manual from the KALINKA website. Pretty useful, if not essential, for anybody using one.