The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 24, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Magyar

Taurus Ultra-Lite: +P ammo?

I couldn't pass up a Taurus .38 sp.snub-nose "Ultra-Lite" at a pawn shop in Phoenix; mint condition-can't believe it was fired any or very little. However, no box, or manual for my $250, but received a new speedloader...
I notice in trying to find similar revolvers on GunBroker, etc,. many of these advertise +P ammo is okay.
No pics as yet, under the tree as a gift to myself...
Question: Do all "ultra-lites" in Taurus can be fired with the potent ammo, or do I need to get into serial #'s, etc??
The pit-falls of purchasing used with no extras....

Last edited by Magyar; December 24, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old December 24, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
old bear

+P ammo is safe to shoot in all modern revolvers. If you are able to pick a quality revolver there are few if any pit falls to buying a pre-owned revolver. Not having a box or manual for your Taurus should not hurt its' resale value, and you saved $100.00 - $150.00 by buying used.
Old December 24, 2010, 09:25 PM   #3
dyl

This isn't the magnesium 6-shot is it? That particular model can NOT be fired with plus +. Or, I suppose you *can* but you *May* not

You could give Taurus a call and they'll tell ya. Or just look up your model on the Taurus website and see what the stats say.

Merry Christmas.
Old December 24, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Magyar

Thanks for the input..This is a 5-shot model. I'll locate the Taurus customer service and see if they can assist. If it's a go, I'd more than likely use regular .38 ammo for practice limiting the +P on the range while placing the +P for concealed carry.....
Old December 24, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5
virg

I've shot a limited number of +P through my Taurus Ultralite 85 with no ill efects what so ever. I probably wouldnt want to feed it a steady diet of them, but a few at the range every now and then shouldn't hurt anything.
Old December 25, 2010, 04:07 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

Use of +P & +P+ rounds in newer Taurus small frames....

To my limited knowledge, Taurus has made & sold +P rated .38spl DA revolvers for the last 10-15 years.
I'd say it would be safe to fire factory or well made .38spl +P or +P+ loads w/o any problems.
I owned a Total Ti Protector .357magnum snub in the early/mid 2000s. I used .357magnum & Magsafe +P .38spl rounds for carry/protection.

One lesson I learned with my first DA only revolver(a .357magnum SP101) is to not shoot as much cheap reloads & lead bullets.
The smoke, soot, grit and crud is disgusting!
I'd use JHPs or FMJs with my next snub. It may cost more $$$ but the price is worth it in the long run IMO, .
Old December 25, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Gbro

From Taurus International, ULTRA-LITE MODEL 85 .38 SPL. REVOLVER IN BLUE STEEL
http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/revolver_manual.pdf

Quote:
“Plus-P’, “PIus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates
pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard
ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or
exceed the margin of safety built into many revolvers and could therefore be
DANGEROUS.
I have read in another user manual that lists +P ammo, to not use very often.

I do realize that user manuals can be sometimes Generic, but then again if you do have problems you will be reminded that the user manual states the ammo is dangerous in their revolver.

And then we have to suffer through this kind of Lawyer-ing when studying a user manual.
Quote:
WARNING:
Securing your firearm may inhibit access to it in a defense situation and
result in injury or death.
WARNING:
To prevent injury or death, it is imperative that you must keep your gun
unloaded, uncocked, and securely locked, with ammunition in a separate
location. In addition, take any other reasonable steps to limit the possibility of
theft, accident, or suicide.
WARNING:
Failure to properly secure a firearm may result in injury or death.
:barf::barf::barf: