The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 15, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1
The Book

Tul Ammo

Just brought a box to see how they work out. Anyone tried these yet?
Old November 15, 2010, 06:12 PM   #2
divil

Yep I've been buying Tul Ammo .45 from wal mart for a few weeks, and I've had no problems whatsoever. Accurate & reliable (and cheap at $15 a box)
Old November 15, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
The Book

Same here, went to Wally today and saw they had them for $15 and price was right. Will give them a try tomorrow.
I brought box of Rems. and kept jamming my .45 and week or so I stopped at a shop over in Mo. and got a box of PPU not a problem at all with them
Old November 15, 2010, 06:26 PM   #4
L2R

Tul

no problems here, trying out a taurus .38 and been waiting for some ammo.

Got to the indoor range only to find out they banned all russian ammo and anything not brass.

$%#$%@#$%

I have 3 boxes for sale anyone in Winston Salem, NC area.

Evil cannot be reduced thru Legislation!
Old November 15, 2010, 06:28 PM   #5
The Book

They must be reselling the brass
Old November 15, 2010, 11:26 PM   #6
psyshack

Yeah they could be loosing some money on the brass pick up. But the Russians have a bad history of slipping in some steel core bullets here and there. Insurance company's do not like that.

I went through some of my wolf and bear ammo for my AK and found three rounds that were steel core bullets in 130 rounds with a magnet. I seperate those out. They have other useful property's.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Teirst

Went through 150 rounds of 9mm a couple weeks back without a single problem in my FNX
Old November 17, 2010, 02:10 AM   #8
dpetreikis

I've ran probably 200 rounds of it through my Ruger P89. First 150 or so went fine without a hiccup. Last time at the range, I had a few light primer strikes - about 6 or 7 or so out of the box of 50. Of course, could also be a dirty firing pin channel or the light main spring I changed to (though it ran fine with the lighter spring until this last box). Will need to make a follow-up range visit to collect further data.
Old November 17, 2010, 02:26 AM   #9
AcridSaint

Quote:
They must be reselling the brass
One time while in Myrtle Beach I found a little indoor range to do some shooting at. When I rented the lane, the guy asked if he could see the ammo I'd brought in and I showed him my bag of white box ammo without thinking anything of it. Went on the range and squeezed off what I jammed in my mags before the trip, a mix of ammo I had lying around the house, including some Wolf. Wouldn't you know, the core of one of those Wolf rounds came back and hit the wall next to the RSO. He stopped us from shooting and asked who was using steel cased ammo...
Old November 18, 2010, 12:00 AM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
He stopped us from shooting and asked who was using steel cased ammo...
Steel case or steel JACKETED?

Huge difference.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old November 18, 2010, 01:40 AM   #11
Trigger Finger

Very good practice ammo. I have used it in several calibers and for the price it can't be beat, period!!!
Unless you reload.
Old November 18, 2010, 01:57 AM   #12
AcridSaint

There is a huge difference, but many ranges around here do not allow steel cased ammo because of what I described. Their evidence may be anecdotal, but I respect the rule because I saw what happened when I didn't pay attention.
Old December 2, 2010, 03:37 AM   #13
mak52580

I bought 1,000 rounds of it at a gun show recently and haven't had any problems with it.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:09 AM   #14
Mr Lucky

TulAmmo or Tula, one in the same is imported Russian ammo the same as Wolf.

It is steel cased with a lead core and a bimetal jacket. That means that the lead is jacketed in steel and copper plated or jacketed. It shoots OK but is made cheaply, is dirty and can cause more wear on a barrel that copper or brass plated or jacketed bullets.

There are two reasons Russian ammo it is banned from some indoor ranges. 1. The steel casing can't be reloaded and has no value for any recycling. 2. The steel bimetal jacket is enough to cause a spark in bullet traps. This has lead to a number of shooting range fires that can put ranges out of business for days or months.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=241417

— Abraham Lincoln
Old December 2, 2010, 06:41 AM   #15
spodwo

I buy it from Wally world - no problems and I don't go to indoor ranges so it is not an issue.