The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 26, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1

BAR high capacity magazine?

Does anyone make a good high capacity magazine for a Browning BAR. The hunting model and not the military model.

Thinking about the BAR Lightweight Stalker in 308 Win. with 20 rd magazine--if available.

Old November 26, 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Not an expert on BARs, but....

If I remember right, don't they have a floorplate that hinges over the detatchable magazine box? That would make a hi cap mag pretty much impossible without major modification to the rifle.
Old November 26, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
NWCP

There isn't a high cap mag for the Browning BAR. The magazine is attached to the hinged floor plate. While the mag is removable it is all that will fit the rifle.
Old November 27, 2010, 09:17 AM   #4
fletchbutt152

I'd like this solution.

I called Browning to see if they knew of a anyone who had modified the BAR to accept larger mags. No.

But the new BAR Short tracs and Long tracs might be able to be modified. The FNAR (FN) and SXAR from Winchester both will take 20rd box mags...problem is they are in .308 and I want a .270...that's what my Light weight stalker is in. Also the guns are lightened up a bit from what I hear. I didn't think the BAR or the Lightweight stalker were very heavy. Just wish one of the three companies would put the guns out in a long action so we don't have to settel for the .308. Besides, I've got a $#1T-ton of .270 ammo.

I called all three and told them they should make a long action with the box mag. Maybe a few others will call and tell them the same.