The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 24, 2010, 04:12 PM   #1
railer12

Free float barrel?

I have a Remmington 700 bdl custom deluxe in .243. The gun has never been real accurate. It wants to shoot the first shot high @ nine o'clock.
I pulled the stock from the barrel to work on the front sling lug and noticed the stock is made with a buldge about half way up the barrel channel for the barrel to rest on.
Should I sand the buldge down and seal the stock so the barrel is completely free floating from the recoil lug to end of muzzle, or is this just the design and should be left alone.
This is a beautiful gun and I would like it to shoot as good as it looks.
P.S. I noticed the action screws were not torked the same when I disassembled it. Have not shot it since reassembing, torked the screws to 35inch lbs. comments?
Old November 24, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Scorch

The pressure bedding used on older rifles applied upward pressure about halfway down the barrel to dampen barrel whip and increase accuracy. Problem with it was it often makes a barrel shoot worse. Try this: cut two pieces of credit card plastic about 1/2" wide and put them between the receiver and the stock and tighten the screws. If the rifle shoots better, go ahead and take the hump out of the barrel channel and float the barrel.
Taylor Machine
Old November 24, 2010, 07:36 PM   #3
railer12

I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old November 25, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Doyle

When you say "1st shot" are you meaning the first shot on a clean barrel or the 1st shot in each group after the barreled has cooled? If you are talking about the 1st shot from a clean barrel, then that is normal. Most rifles don't particularly like shooting from a very clean barrel. That is why benchrest shooters shoot fouling shots before starting their grouping.
Old November 25, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
hooligan1

If it's any help, railer, my sons 700 has been floated enoung to slide the sunday paper under it, and it shoots better than it did when I got it.