The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2000, 10:17 PM   #1
fgerardij

I wanted to first introduce myself. I live in Frederick, MD and am new to the board, so hello.

Secondly, I am starting to prepare to reload.

I have shot for 25 years and have several handguns; the Kimber Classic Stainless LE in .45 acp, S&W M586 in .357 mag and Beretta 92f in 9mm, among several other rifles and shotguns.

I have sat back and read for a while, trying to gather as much information as possible before posting, so here goes.

It seems as most prefer the quality of the Dillion Progressive over the Lee. I have heard the same, with Dillion's customer service being second to none.

Given I want to reload, against some suggestions, I want to start with a progressive loader.

Does anyone have one for sale? I would prefer to buy a used Dillion as opposed to a new one for obvious reasons. Primarily I am starting to load .45 acp, and eventually .38 spcl and .357 mag.

If anyone does, please email me at fgerardij@aol.com.

So far I have purchased (yet not delivered) the Dillion eliminator scale and am considering buying a few accessories online and would appreciate your opinions.

A gentleman is getting out of reloading and is offering to sell his Midway, model 1292 tumbler, the media separator with 10 lbs of walnut media, 2 bottles of brass polish and Midway stainless steel measuring calipers for $70, all of which is supposedly in great shape. What do you folks think?

Again, thanks for your feedback and if anyone has a progressive Dillion for sale, please let me know.. It would also be nice to hear from anyone that has had success with the Lee 1000 or the Loadmaster.

All the best,
fgerardij
Old December 21, 2000, 10:42 PM   #2
drothen

Welcome. I have not been here too long, either, but I have really enjoyed the knowledgable posts here, as well as the civil manner.

I have been loading with a Dillon 550B for about a year and I am very satisfied. I have not been cleaning my brass, as it did not seem worth the effort for practice. I am sure others can comment on that. I load 9mm, .40S&W, 32WinSP and 7mm RemMag.

In addition to the scale and calipers, I have found that it is handy to have a case gage, impact-type bullet puller and powder funnel.
Old December 21, 2000, 10:42 PM   #3
beemerb

Try -auctionarms.com for a used reloader.Before you buy please go to dillons web site and check the prices so you don't overpay.Allso have you called dillon and asked to be put on the mailing list for the blue press?A must.Allso chack midway for tumblers.I use corncob media which can be purchased at you local feed or pet store.A lot cheaper.
Allso go to search feature here and look at the many threads on newbe reloading.I think there is a lot of info there.
I don't know which press you are interested in but I would go with the 550B.Simple to use and fast.
Old December 21, 2000, 10:56 PM   #4
Keith J

Don't overlook Lee

IMHO, the Auto disk powder measure and their dies work better than the Dillon's. I like the powder through expanding die since they are half the cost and include the powder die. The other benefit is no operating rod. I have a new Dillon measure that has a "safety link" that constantly clicks and sounds cheap. I use it for rifle and a Lee for pistol. Having multiple measures makes changovers easier and not fooling with the op rod is a blessing.

I wore my first measure out at 10,000 rounds and replaced it with the new model, a much improved design. Get the micro-adjusting measure bar for ultimate versitility.

I'm also considering the rifle powder measure from Lee. It handles IMR powder very well and is again, half the price.

Good luck reloading and play it safe. You can have a lot of fun with a 200 gr 45 at 700 FPS!
Old December 21, 2000, 11:03 PM   #5
fgerardij

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the info.

Beemerb:

I checked out auctionarms.com...good link, thanks..Also, the corn cob media. I'm sure a local place here would have it, Southern States. Is it the same corn cob media or a variation of it that works for case cleaning?

Keith J...Which Lee loader do you have? I'm comparing the Lee 1000, Loadmaster and the Square Deal B and 550B from Dillion..

Seems like you get a lot for the money with Lee. However I've never used either so I'm speaking with no experience.

Thanks for the help guys..

Old December 22, 2000, 12:57 AM   #6
Steve Smith

fgerardij, Welcome to the board! Finding a used Dillon is hard...most folks hang onto them...however, you ought to check Ebay. Just do a search for "reloading" without the quotes and you'll find a lot of deals (and a few non-deals). I've seen Dillon 550B's with dies, tumblers, scales, calipers, and you name it go for $450 or less. I definately think that if you're looking at Dillon, and you can afford it, then don't settle for anything else. The only exceptionto this is the RCBS 2000, with I believe is a green Dillon It has some very similar mechanics. I don't believe that Lee holds a candle to Dillon, I've owned both...the only one I still have is the Dillon. Also, do a search here for Dillon and Lee...you'll find most of our opinions are on record...and quite recent!
Old December 22, 2000, 02:32 AM   #7
tawakoni

Welcome to TFL and the world of reloading, fgerardij. A nice little gadget to have is a 'primer flipper tray'. You don't need to go overboard here. The little green RCBS tray does it all and only costs a couple of bucks. Well, I bought mine in 1964 for $1.25 so it probably costs ten bucks now.

A 'must have' is a good reloading manual like the latest Speer or Lyman. On second thought, get both. They have chapters for the beginner. Notice I said "latest edition". Components change over time and often the loading data does, also. Read the manual(s)and when you have finished, read them again.

As soon as you are ready to begin, come back here and we will be glad to share our favorite loads with you.

BTW, I LOVE my Dillons for handguns: SDB, 550B
For rifles I still use single-stage RCBS: JR, Rockchucker, and A-2.

I still don't know if I reload because I like to shoot, or I shoot because I like to reload...

tawakoni
Old December 22, 2000, 08:32 AM   #8
fgerardij

Thanks guys.

I've been cruising Ebay daily now for a used Dillion and you're right, they hold their value; testament to the quality of their product.

I'll check back in after I've made the purchase..

Take care...

Old December 22, 2000, 11:20 AM   #9
sundog

fgerardij, welcome aboard! .45 ACP, huh? Good choice!

drothen, I noticed you load .32 Win Spl. Got any pet loads? As you already know, there's just not a lot of data out there like other cartridges (or bullet choices). I shoot all lead in mine, RCBS 170 FN, at velocities approximating jacketed loads with good results.

sundog
Old December 22, 2000, 10:31 PM   #10
drothen

Sundog-

I have had good luck right out of the speer manual, so haven't looked any further. 170gr Hornady or Speer FP, 34gr IMR4895. Everything from 33 & 35gr worked well, too. I shoot my grandfather's model 94, dated to 1900, but has had the barrel replaced with a round one sometime in the 50's. I have enough brass from years of shooting it to keep me going.