The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
schwefel

Unboxing/pics of the FNX-9

As requested, and promised, here are the pics:

Here is the supplied case. Pretty basic and lightweight. It is lockable with a standard padlock.

Case opened. Fitted for the FNX-9, 2 extra clips, backstraps, manual, fired catridge and cable lock in the top. Case is fitted in such a way to prevent gun from being stored with hammer cocked.

All items laid out.

Back, front and top of clip
Old October 30, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2
schwefel

Left and right view of FNX-9

Slide retracted and locked.

FNX-9 disassembled.

Backstrap removed, show method of attachment. As you can see (or maybe not), the backstrap slides into a dovetail. This is actually fairly tight fitting, very little lateral play. The mechanism to lock it in place, however, is just a plastic tang. This does allow for a slight (1/16" - 1/32") amount of play. To me it is not a concern. For those that is does bother, someone suggested a dab of super glue. That would immobilise it.

Frame, top down, showing internal mechanicals.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:23 PM   #3
schwefel

Top, angle and back view of slide.

Front of slide, with barrel installed.

Muzzle and breech views of barrel.

I still have to take it to the range, and will give a report after that. While I did fire the rental FNX-9, I still want to shoot *my* gun.

The paper that the pictures are taken on are 1/2" squares. If anyone wants to print of grids (also good for tagets) here is the link. You can create grids with whatever spacing you desire and it is outputted to a PDF. Graph Paper Generator

Questions or comments? Ask away. I will answer what I can.
Old October 30, 2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Coltman 77

Great pictures of a fine pistol. I look forward to your range report.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old October 30, 2010, 03:23 PM   #5
ET.

Nice gun. I've been looking at the FN guns since I learned they are manufactured in Columbia, SC. It appears that they are a high quality gun. I'm green with envy! ...see?
Old October 30, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6
rsxr22

how about some detail stripped photos LOL
Old October 30, 2010, 03:35 PM   #7
insolentshrew

Quote:
Nice gun. I've been looking at the FN guns since I learned they are manufactured in Columbia, SC. It appears that they are a high quality gun. I'm green with envy! ...see?
While FN does have a plant in Columbia - their pistol lines are manufactured in Fredericksburg, Virginia. This is stamped on every FNP/FNX slide.

You can barely see this on the horizontal view of the slide only picture on the right side where it states "FNH USA Fredericksburg, VA" and below the extractor "Made in USA".

As for detail strip photo's - the FNX line and fnp45's cannot be detail stripped due to remove the fire control group the manual safety has to be "removed" - which how it is placed, it cannot be removed. It has to be physically broken off to remove. This was how the pistol was designed and FN will tell you the same. Kind of a con, but you can clean most everything just fine without a detail strip if you are anal. The fnp9/45s had a slightly different safety on the USG models, and the models without a safety could be full stripped without breaking anything.

To OP: Hope you like it and get it to the range soon, my fnx9 has been flawless for 650 rounds so far, although the slide did not lock back 1 time during my first 300 rounds. Not sure if this was due to a weak factory load or possibly the recoil spring being still stiff, but no FTF or FTE - every trigger pull has resulted in bang. Soon as I get my new holster in from adamsholsters it will be my every day carry gun. Love being able to carry condition 1 if people like that, or decocked with safety off for sig style carry - even decocked with safety on if you are paranoid. Fully ambidextrous - this gun can please many people.

One thing I noticed is that the grip I use for my p229 doesn't work too well for my fnx. If I hold it as I hold my 229 the back of the manual safety bites into my strong hand thumb. After adjusting my weak side hand a little lower and adjusting my strong hand to follow - it fits and shoots great. I don't have big hands so this wasn't an issue but if you have big hands it may be something to look out for!

Last edited by insolentshrew; October 30, 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Tags
fnh , fnx-9 , unboxing