The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 15, 2010, 02:06 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. jackson
I've never committed a single crime in my life, but I've always been told, "since your social is out of state, there's a 72 hour hold on your purchase." I always thought it was just business as usual.
I don't believe I have ever given out my social security number when purchasing a firearm. It says on the form "optional" for that box. I know what "optional" means, so I "opt" to leave that blank.

But my last name isn't Smith or Jones, and my first name is even less common than my family name, so the likelihood of there being a prohibited person with the same name within 5,000 miles is negligible.
Old October 16, 2010, 09:19 PM   #27
jgcoastie

c-jackson

Horse Puckey!

If the whole "area code means you wait 72 hours" deal is correct, then why am I able to go to the store and buy any gun I want without a waiting period whatsoever? I was not born in Alaska, my SSN did not originate from Alaska, I have no form of Alaska ID, and I have never had any sort of waiting period.

#1 Do you have a Mississippi driver's license?
#2 (Referring to post #22) Where and how, exactly, do you have your firearms "registered"? There is no federal registry and there is no registry in the state of Mississippi... So how/where/why exactly???

My guess is that you're dealing with an FFL who does not know the law in its current form.

Call the BATFE Oxford field office @ (662) 234-3751, tell them what's going on, and find out for sure.

Or you could just stop putting your SSN on the 4473; it's an optional block, not required.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 16, 2010, 10:31 PM   #28
gc70

The Chicago Tribune story is strange in several respects.

It must have been a very nice S&W .45 that he "paid $1,500" to buy, particularly since it was supposedly to be sold "at an estimated 100 percent markup." Chicago gang members must have lots of money to burn.

Regarding the gun's serial number being traced in seven hours:

Quote:
By then, Gates' trafficking scheme, including Elliot's role in it, had long been uncovered by a Chicago police and ATF task force.
It also seems strange that the purchaser was charged, tried, and convicted of falsifying the 4473 so quickly that he didn't know the gun was used in a murder.