The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Badcompany

Glock 23 custom barrel price

How much would it cost me to put a quality custom fully supported barrel on a glock 23? (to minimize chance of KB)

Or, can you recommend a similarly priced, quality compact .40?

I'm a new shooter, and have come to fall in love with the glock 19. But when i buy (soon) i want to step up the caliber. If i can i wish to stick with glock, as i have fired 9mm and .40 in various models and the glock is by far my favorite.
Old September 28, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2
dabigguns357

You can go to lone wolf barrel,they should have everything you need for your g23.My wife has a G23 and loves it but i put a 9mm lone wolf barrel in and she shoots it much better and is much more comfortable with how it feels.

People will say it's not a good idea to interchange barrels or use aftermarket barrels.Lone Wolf dist. has after market .40 cal,357 sig,9mm barrels all for around $100.00 plus shipping.

www.lonewolfdist.com
Old September 29, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
voyager4520

I'd also suggest a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. You can shoot regular factory new .40 ammo in the stock barrel and drop in the 9mm barrel for cheaper range practice.

In .40, chamber support is really only an issue with reloads or custom-loaded ammo. You won't have any problems with factory new .40 ammo in a Glock 23. Besides, really the only semi-autos with full chamber support are 1911s and Beretta 92/96. It's an integral part of the breech-lock design to have the feed ramp as part of the barrel, which demands partial chamber support.

Lone Wolf and other aftermarket barrels do offer more chamber support than stock Glock barrels, but not a whole lot more. The difference is negligible. Aftermarket barrels can go from $90 all the way up to $300 depending on the manufacturer and the features of the barrel. A LoneWolf standard .40 G23 barrel is $110. A Bar-Sto .40 G23 barrel is $205.

Last edited by voyager4520; September 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old September 29, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4
NWPilgrim

Quote:
In .40, chamber support is really only an issue with reloads or custom-loaded ammo. You won't have any problems with factory new .40 ammo in a Glock 23.
+1

The number one cause of KBs in Glocks appears to be repeated chambering of the same round over and over (as a police officer would do daily) which eventually pushes the bullet back into the case and then when shot results in much higher pressure. If you don't chamber the same (top) round out of the mag a lot then the risk of KB is almost nil for factory ammo (even factories can screw up on the rare occasion).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 29, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

KB?, custom Glock barrels, gunsmiths...

I'm not quite sure what the term; "KB" means. Does it mean a "cracked barrel"?
If you are looking for a well made, high quality after market Glock barrel, I'd look into the LoneWolf Dist brand, BarSto Precision(Irv Stone), Jarvis Custom, Storm Lake or maybe KKM.
www.GlockTalk.com may be a useful resource too. I'm not a huge Glock fan, but Im seriously considering a new Glock model 23 RTF-Gen4 model if it's available. As a left-handed shooter I prefer the new mag release and I like the new Glock Gen4 model features.
If you want to buy a well made .40S&W compact, I'd go for the S&W military and police compact, the SIG P229R DAK, the great Beretta PX4 C or D type model or the HK P2000(LEM)/P2000sk. These .40 pistols are highly rated and can do well for target or protection use.

www.GunsAmerica.com www.Glock.com www.GlockStore.com www.Brownells.com
Old September 29, 2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Daryl

A "KB!" is a "Ka-Boom!". The gun blows up.

Glock barrels were once badly unsupported. I had a G20 that made me a little nervous about reloading for it. The "smilies" caused by the unsupported chamber were obvious, and I was concerned about the same weakened spot in the case lining up with the same unsupported spot in the chamber.

That Glock was made back in 1991 or so.

I have a current production G23, and the chamber appears very well supported. Before I bought it, I was thinking of an LWD barrel as a replacement, because I shoot a lot of handloads.

With the current made Glock barrel (the gun included a fired case dated June 7th of this year) I'm not concerned about it at all.

LWD makes good barrels, if you're so inclined, and they're a great asset if you shoot lead bullets (a no-no with Glock barrels).

Having inspected mine, I'd not replace it for lack of chamber support.

Daryl
Old September 30, 2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Sixer

I have a Storm Lake barrel in my Glock 23. Picked it up when I started to load my own ammo... just to be on the safe side

600 reloaded rounds later and it still looks like new. Even better... no KB's!!!! I would recommend Storm Lake barrels to anyone, including you.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old September 30, 2010, 05:21 PM   #8
XD45Sooner

Thats why, as a police officer, I have the same round chambered that I started with. It doesnt get unloaded unless its fired.

Smith and Wesson 1911SC Stainless-45ACP, Glock 19-9mm, Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8"- .357 Magnum

Tags
.40 cal , custom barrel , glock , price check , semi auto