The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 7, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Blair

Dry Lubes

Wasn't sure where to post this question.

Does anyone use a dry silicon lube on the actions of their firearms? The light oil I am using sure attracts the dust and I have a lot of dust in my area.

Also can I use it for spraying on my casings before resizing?
Old September 7, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Silcone is not good for resizing cases, unless you want stck cases. What is needed is a hight flim strength lube, a wax based type like Imperial is one of the best as so little is required for sizing.

As for oils there will be 20-30 responses as to what is the best type to use. If you have a lot of dust then you have to clean more often, there is no magic lube that will perform like oil, stay dry and keep your guns lubericated.
Old September 8, 2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Scorch

You can use dry lubes on the action, plenty of people do. I use a spray-on PTFE lube I bought at Home Depot, and there are many others. I have used Militec, which goes on wet and dries into a dry film. I do not like silicone lubes, they do not lubricate well, and the residue is hard to get off of metal parts in order to properly lube them.
Old September 8, 2010, 05:07 AM   #4
plateshooter

I also use the PTFE dry lube from Home Depot on 22 semi auto handguns. I work at a NRA qualification program in the summer months and see a lot of 22 semi autos get jammed up due to residue mixing with oils and gumming up the guns. Many of these shooters are not really into maintaining their pistols and some of them haven't cleaned their pistols in years. A good flush and application of the dry lube, and they are good to go for the rest of the season.
Old September 8, 2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Blair

Thanks all. Sounds like I might stick with the oil and put up with the dust.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:55 AM   #6
johnbt

I use TW-25B.

I'll let someone far more qualified comment on how it works in dusty environments.

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...n-lubrication/
Old September 8, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Blair,

There are some alternatives I can suggest. One is a 3-day soak in Sprinco Plate+ Silver. This is a permanent lube on the microscopic level. It even stands up to lubing rifle bores. It is a NASA patent extremely thin liquid with an acid-neutralized colloidal suspension of micronized molybdenum disulphide. It bonds a synthetic lube semi-permanently to the metal with the moly fine enough that it goes into microscopic surface imperfections and stays there. You can wipe it completely dry to the touch, but it will stay there. It is often used in conjunction with oil but provides a good surface for rejecting the adhesion of fouling and it dry to the touch and keeps the metal sliding after oil is gone. The moly will, however, darken a porous finish like Parkerizing, so be aware of that possibility. It doesn't show on blued surfaces. It works with ferrous metals only, having no effect on aluminum.

Another product that has gained popularity in the military is Gunzilla. They claim 75% malfunction reductions in the sandbox for users of the product. This stuff is one of the best carbon solvents I've found. Wet a caked up gun with it today and let it sit overnight, and tomorrow even hard carbon like you see in rifle gas pistons is softened. The stuff is vegetable oil based and was originally developed to be used by armorers whose skin is exposed to cleaners all day. Where it differs from other carbon softeners is what little remains after you dry patch it or wipe away excess then dries to leave a thin protective lubricating varnish.

One of the best dry lube products I've played with is Moly Fusion from Shooters Solutions. It takes the most work to apply and has the greatest effect on the the steel appearance, but it works well. I've treated whole loading presses and other items with it. They lose all rubbing friction and just glide. Bright, plain steel is darkened, but the dark place feels very waxy. Steel glides over it, and it is permanent. It also works on aluminum, which it does not darken, but whitens ever so slightly if you look at it in just the right light. The maker has a testimonial printed from someone claiming steel rifle sizing dies treated with it requires no case lube. I haven't tried that. Too chicken. It will lube a bore and last up to 1000 rounds, so it's pretty tough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 9, 2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Don P

Eezox
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 19, 2010, 05:31 PM   #9
john1969

Unclenick...did you or know of anyone using moly fusion on A R type carriers? Thanks

One Nation Under surveillance...javelin press