The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2010, 05:02 PM   #26
jmorris

You could then make a vise stop similar to this one. You might even use a screw with jam nut to tweak the depth of cut.

You could also use a milling attachment or X-Y table but that would cost more money.
Old September 13, 2010, 05:08 PM   #27
ClemBert

Forgive my lack of machining knowledge but how do you use this?

Do you just hold it up against the brass casing rim like a sanding block?
Old September 13, 2010, 05:22 PM   #28
jmorris

Not really it is a cutting bit like one flute of a drill bit.

I don't have any here at home but you would set up something like this, an adjustable stop so you can accurately move the bit to the desired location and clamp it in place.

If you just wanted something “close to round” but smaller just chuck it up and hit it with a file or sand paper, you could even use a hand drill.
Old September 13, 2010, 06:11 PM   #29
ClemBert

I think I understand that last pic you posted. It shows the cutting edge sitting at an angle. I would assume with that type of setup you would slowly lower the drill press with the brass casing chucked. The angled cutting edge would then make the cut as it comes in contact with the brass.

What I'm not picturing how you would set up the HSS tool bit to do the cutting since it is rectangular in shape.

Old September 13, 2010, 06:55 PM   #30
snuffy

Clem, that's just a blank tool bit stock. It has to be ground using a grinding wheel to form a cutting edge. You can pretty much make any kind of cutting edge on it, one sided, pointed, even a thread cutting tool. It's what was used up until the mounted carbide tools were in wide spread use. The second pic that Jmorris has shows a carbide insert that is held to that boring bar with a screw or clamp.

There's no way you could chuck a case in a drill press, then run a case against a cutter. The drill press is not solid enough to have the workpiece that far extended without some support on the end of the case. Then, comes the problem of holding the cutting bit solid enough to make a cut without it chattering or diving in deeper than you want.

I should read everything twice before replying. I missed that ONLY the rim was to be machined. OOPS! Can't be right all the time! And here I'm always the one calling everybody else out on that subject.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 13, 2010, 07:26 PM   #31
ClemBert

I guess it makes more sense then to use something like these:

Carbide Tipped Cutting Bits - 1

Carbide Tipped Cutting Bits - 2

Old September 13, 2010, 07:59 PM   #32
hickstick_10

Quote:
If you can't do this yourself, I would suggest you pass on the whole idea. The cost would be way too much............hpg
So far this was some of the best advice (but not the only) given to you on this thread.

You can tinker with an inexpensive used craftsman lathe for probably less then what it would cost you to get done at a machine shop (if they even bothered with you)

Also unless you know exactly what you want done and how you want it done, going to a machine shop can be fairly expensive if they dont understand what you want, getting things made to a thou cost money, getting things within 0.0001 costs more money.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:03 PM   #33
jmorris

Quote:
There's no way you could chuck a case in a drill press, then run a case against a cutter.
That is exactly what I did in the photos on page 1 just to see if it would work and it did on the 44 mag case shown in the photos. I used a TiN coated HSS end mill shown in the first photo. You don't need carbide to turn .008 off of a brass case but you could use it for sure.

If you only have 50 to do pack them up in a flat rate box and ship them with a drawing of what you want turned and enough money for a case of adult beverages and return shipping to you and I'll knock them out for you. PM me if you are interested.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:58 PM   #34
ClemBert

jmorris, that's the best idea I've heard yet! Thank you for the offer. I very much appreciate your effort to educate me on this matter. Thanks to everyone else too for your time and ideas.
Old September 14, 2010, 12:39 PM   #35
HiBC

jmorris
Thinking about it,I'll have to agree that chamber reamers have more than 4 flutes,and,as you said,the 6 flute reamer will always have 3 flutes in contact,so it can work out.I respectfully concede the point.
I can see you kinow the trade and how to get her done.I intend this as a handshake rather than playing ego driven whizzing contest.There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by HiBC; September 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old September 14, 2010, 02:52 PM   #36
snuffy

Quote:
Quote:
There's no way you could chuck a case in a drill press, then run a case against a cutter.
That is exactly what I did in the photos on page 1 just to see if it would work and it did on the 44 mag case shown in the photos. I used a TiN coated HSS end mill shown in the first photo. You don't need carbide to turn .008 off of a brass case but you could use it for sure.
Well the drill presses I have had experience with, you couldn't. Even moderate side pressure would cause significant deviation. I suppose if you ran the table up until close to the chuck you might get away with it. My present $55.00 harbor freight drill press would never work for that, just too crude/loose. But that's not what I bought it to do.

I'm not trying to get in a ******* match either. Just trying to understand methods that might be used. I ran a turret lathe in a factory, and a big rockford machining Hyd. cylinder rods for 6 years before that. All that qualifies me to do some guessing how I'd proceed.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 15, 2010, 09:04 AM   #37
jmorris

Quote:
I can see you kinow the trade and how to get her done.I intend this as a handshake rather than playing ego driven whizzing contest.There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Fair enough, I try to do things the “right way” but have been stuck without proper equipment over the years and you have to make do with what you have sometimes.

Quote:
Well the drill presses I have had experience with, you couldn't. Even moderate side pressure would cause significant deviation. I suppose if you ran the table up until close to the chuck you might get away with it. My present $55.00 harbor freight drill press would never work for that, just too crude/loose. But that's not what I bought it to do.
The one I used at home is a HF but a floor model. Years ago my brother added an X-Y table but it still didn’t turn it into a Bridgeport. Putting side loads on drill presses is generally a bad idea but it can be done.

In the end I spent more time messing around taking photos of how you could do it and such than it would have taken to machine the OP’s brass right. Thus the offer to machine it for him. From PM’s his project sounds interesting enough.