The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2000, 10:27 AM   #1
Chad Young

Well, the reloading bug has firmly and thoroughly taken hold of me! I know reload just about all my own handgun ammo. I find it does not save money, though - I just shoot alot more!

Anyway, I am looking at buying a chronograph unit to check the velocities of my handloads for consistency and velocity checking.

What I want is:

1. Able to be mounted on a tripod (I have a nice sturdy camera tripod)

2. Less than $250

3. LCD display seperate from the sensor housing.

Your suggestions?

Old December 11, 2000, 12:14 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Check the Shooting chronys in the Midway catalog. I have the shooting chrony but if you go up one step from that one you will find one for about 110 bucks or so that meets all of your criteria. The only difference between what you listed and mine (which was a lower model) is the one for about 110 bucks had a detachable LCD display, mine does not but its readable at 15 feet or so just fine (even for old eyes ). Of course you can spend MUCH more for different types and brands but except for the Oheler that can also measure chamber pressure most of the bells and whistles that are added are strictly for the purpose of helping you do some of the math. A 75 buck Shooting Chrony F-1 will measure Muzzle Velocity just fine.
Old December 11, 2000, 09:36 PM   #3
Airborne

Beta Chrony!!!

Shooting Chrony Beta model is awesome. It has the detachable LCD display, remembers 6 10 shot strings, and is very easy to use. It is quite rugged, batteries last forever, and is backed by an excellent warranty. For $110.00 from Midway you can't go wrong. There may be better one's out there, but not for the money. I don't know how I ever got by without it!

SM
Old December 11, 2000, 10:20 PM   #4
char923

I'm with Airborne and I also got a printer to go with it.
Old December 12, 2000, 01:12 AM   #5
RiverRider

Sounds like you definitely got the disease, Chad.

I bought a Chrony also, about seven years ago. Mine is a Beta, but oddly enough, it came with a 1000-shot memory...some special promotion with Midway, or something.

Anyway, I bought mine with the idea that all my questions would finally be answered; I would know everything about all the different handloads I tried, and perfection would be just a matter of trials and analyses. But it sure doesn't seem to work out that way. I've seen odd things happen when chronographing loads. The moral of my story is that rather than answer all my questions about this handload and that handload, I now have more questions to ponder. But, that's one of the attractions of handloading, I suppose. A chronograph adds a lot to the experience.

Buena suerte!
Old December 12, 2000, 01:49 AM   #6
bk40

Oehler 35P ($345 w/ printer) or PACT. I've had an Oehler 35P for many moons now and would recommend it to anyone.

ps- you can buy the Oehler w/o the printer ($195 & $225) and add it later if $ are a concern, thats how I did it. Another plus for the Oehler is that is uses std calculator printer paper (cheap) unlike the PACT.

http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html
Old December 12, 2000, 01:42 PM   #7
bfoster

I agree with bk 40 in his recommendarion of the Oehler. What he does not mention is that the Oehler will work without fuss in many conditions of ambient light in which use of other chronographs gives various problems. I learned this the hard way through use & ownership of other chronographs (PACT & Chrony).

I'd also note that the service & support provided by Oehler is absloutely top quality. While the initial investment is higher, the cost of maintaining the chronograph may well prove lower. For instance, if you shoot the section of a screen which holds the sensor, but cause no damage to the sensor itself, you can purchase what you need to make the repair, and nothing else, for a few dollars. You don't need to replace the whole unit.

Bob
Old December 12, 2000, 06:26 PM   #8
WIL TERRY

OEHLER IS THE ONE

Ken Oehler's little machines are the pick of the litter, hands down, nobody else is close. Used 'em since '68 and can't imagine life without an OEHLER.
Used some others too...I intentionally shot the last POS chronograph I used that wasn't an OEHLER, KILLED THE WORTHLESS HUNK OF JUNK DEADER THAN CANNED TUNA right there on the range. Kicked it aside and got the OEHLER out of the truck, set it up and went on with the business at hand with nary a problem. TM
Old December 12, 2000, 06:48 PM   #9
Big Bunny

I use an F1 CHRONY but cost is $AUD150 here .It is a really good basic model. I can recommend the Canadian-made model to anyone!

I feel any chrono poses more questions than answers for me.
Why in heavens mame does an airrifle have 50FPS variations with same ammo? Rimfire .22 ammo is even worse!

Now I load with care and just shoot without a worry over velocity variations! Scores and kills have increased.

But nice to know my .224 " CF rounds are making 3,000FPS though - as if is useful for the HORNADY tables as regards bullet "drop" for crows at 200m+!
Old December 13, 2000, 04:45 PM   #10
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Shooting Chrony Gamma

I've been using a Shooting Chrony Gamma model for 3 years now, love it. It's stores 1000 shots, has the remote screen, and will interface with my PC thru a serial cable, cost about $175. Being able to upload the data to my PC is a real bonus. I export the data from the Chrony as a ASCII file then read it with MS Excel. Once it's in a spreadsheet format I can print it anyway I want, graph the data, perform additional statistical analysis, email it to a buddy, save it forever, do just about anything. The PC-link is a more powerful tool than a printer. -- Kernel
Old December 13, 2000, 05:41 PM   #11
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Ouch! BigBunny, thats high $150AD. I do not know the exchange rate though from AD to USD. Right now the Midway Catlog has them for 64 bucks US. I realize that the Oehler is the Rolls Royce of chronys, but lets face it for most people (myslef included) I would rather spend the money on ammo or reloading components. One other thing is you can shoot the hell out of about 3 of them and it would just about equal the cost of one Oehler. If you are a serious ballistician or an employee in the fire arms field an Oehler would be then justified.

[Edited by Southla1 on 12-14-2000 at 10:27 AM]