The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2010, 03:26 PM   #1
redsrtturbo

Warranty Problem Kahr MK9

I have a gun that I sent in for repair after 2 months of ownership and about 700 rounds. I was getting a lot of failures to extract and failures to eject. About 2 per hundred failures to extract and 4 failures to eject. Ejector was also pretty loose.

I got it back last week- They covered everything and replaced:

Ejector, extractor, magazines, slide stop, recoil spring, polished feed ramp- Everything looked great and they did a nice job and sent it back quickly.

I took it to the range and whammo- 2 more failures to eject within the first 15 rounds- I fired a total of 100 rounds through it and at the end had a total of 3 failures to extract and 4 failures to eject.

I sent them an e-mail Wednesday and have not heard back from them yet.

What would you expect from the manufacturer? Does this kind of issue end up in a constant return/repair situation where the problem is never fully fixed and I have to eat it, or do they eventually call the gun a dud and replace it?

I am giving them a few more days before I send another email and follow up with a call- Anyone have similar issues with handguns? How were they handled? What were the results?

Last edited by redsrtturbo; August 27, 2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old August 27, 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

It's probably best if you tell us who the manufacturer is.... Then you can get a better idea of the community sentiment toward their customer service.

For example.. Smith & Wesson and Springfield armory are known to have some of the finest customer service in the industry.

Taurus is not.

Kahr seems to have been good in the past but there have been a lot of complaints lately.

Kel Tec seems to have pretty good customer service, despite their extremely affordable weapons.
Old August 27, 2010, 03:33 PM   #3
AustinTX

edit: What UncleMalice said.
BERETTA Billennium (x4)|92 Steel I (x3)|92G Elite II|92FS (x4)|8045F|84BB—SIG P210-5 (x2)|P210-6 (x3)|P49—SIG SAUER P226 X6|P226 X5 (x2)|P220|P228|P229—HK P7M10 (x2)|USP Elite—COLT Gold Cup NM (x2)|Python (x4)|Ofcr Mod Match|Ofcr Mod|Ofc Police—S&W 41|57|57|48—BROWNING HP—VALMET Lahti—MAUSER Luger|HSc|1910—USFA 1910—FREEDOM ARMS 83—MAB PA15—BENELLI B76—SAVAGE 1917—WALTHER P38|PPS—GLOCK 17—RUGER P89—ČZ 75 Champion|52—RADOM Tokarev—IZHEVSK Makarov—ARSENAL Makarov—FÉG ACK—KAHR P380
Old August 27, 2010, 03:33 PM   #4
redsrtturbo

Kahr MK9
Old August 27, 2010, 03:42 PM   #5
temmi

I had problems with the sight on my H&K USP .45.

They fixed it and sent me the target to prove it...

and it cost only shipping to them.
Old August 27, 2010, 04:58 PM   #6
PSP

If I were you, I'd try different ammo and let someone else shoot the gun to see if the same thing happens. It is possibly ammo related, it is possibly grip related. The smallest of the Kahrs are the most suseptible to these types of problems. Some people claim something as simple and small as the Pearce grip extension helps.

Kahr has already replaced everything that affects ejection an feeding.
Old August 27, 2010, 05:14 PM   #7
redsrtturbo

extraction is the biggest problem and happens way too often- The casing stays put and double feeds the next round

Other people have fired it- I have tried at least 5 different types of ammo all store bought (non-reload).

I will fire again this Tuesday just to be sure- but something is definitely wrong. Before I shipped it off the first time the ejector had worked itself loose enough to give 2mm or more of travel up and down and there were metal shaving every time I cleaned it. Not as many this time, but I only fired 100 rounds- maybe less.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

Contact Kahr and ask them to send you a shipping label to ship it back on their dime.
Since you paid to ship it once, they should pay this time.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:22 PM   #9
redsrtturbo

They paid the first time- I certainly am not going to pay for their faulty product.

I figured they would have tested it to make sure it wasn't doing the same thing it was doing before it was shipped. The work order claimed it was test fired, but if they had fired 1 magazine (6 rounds) they would have known it was not repaired.

It's not like it's a cheap gun- It's a small concealable gun that is meant for personal protection and when you have a malfunction by the 2nd round how well does it function or serve its purpose.

If the gun is not repairable they should replace it. But, this is the only gun I've ever had with any problems- I even tried to give it the full break in period (500-700 rounds) for these problems to work themselves out.

I know a lot of guys here have multi-thousand dollar guns, but not me- this is a big investment and it doesn't work- Kinda gets me worked up. As patient as I am, the worst thing to do is to dismiss inquiries. I hope they'll respond by Tuesday.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:25 PM   #10
cannonfire

what were the results of the other people shooting it? you might have a limp wrist which would cause those problems if they replaced all of those parts. But definitely call them and have them ship you a label to ship it back.

Blaming guns for crime is like blaming the planes for 9/11
Old August 27, 2010, 09:40 PM   #11
redsrtturbo

2 other people have fired it- same problems

mixed failures to eject and failures to extract. Out of the people I go shooting with and all of our guns combined (except for a Sig Mosquito a buddy has) this is the only gun that has had the kind and amount of failures.

I just hope that if it's not repairable (which I assume because they have replaced so many parts) that they replace it with a working gun- I drooled over it for about 6 months before I bought it and it has turned into a disappointment bordering on a nightmare situation depending on how Kahr handles it.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:07 PM   #12
chris in va

Let's do a process of elimination here.

- What brand(s) of ammo are you using?

- Can you take a picture of the actual jam?

- Have you tried different magazines?

- When was the last time you hosed everything out with gun cleaner (PowderBlast etc)?

Bottom line, it's been my experience that gun manufacturers often overlook issues that the actual owner can spot right away.

Example, my CZ 75 would not fully eject the spent shell as it hung up on the incoming round's case mouth. Once I switched mags to MecGar, hosed all the crud out and taper crimped everything (including storebought stuff) the problems vanished.
Old August 28, 2010, 02:22 AM   #13
voyager4520

What brand ammo are you using and what grain?
Old August 28, 2010, 03:38 AM   #14
redsrtturbo

gun is not dirty- got it back like new and it has done this since I bought it.

magazines were replaced (happened with either magazine)

Ammo Used (that I can remember):

S&B 115
Federal (Maroon box) 115
MFS (don't remember grain)
Speer Gold Dot 124 +P
Cor-Bon 125 +P
American Eagle (don't remember grain)

failures on all of them except I do not specifically remember a failure with Corbon (although I only ran 1 box of 20 through).

failures are complete failure to extract (spent cartridgeis way in there and the round that is feeding jams behind it) and the ejection failures are typical stovepipe except for one failure that the spent cartridge was jammed inside facing out.

The failures are legit-

My concern is whether or not it will be fixed or replaced.
Old August 28, 2010, 05:22 AM   #15
Snowdog

This may sound silly, but request a new barrel and ask them to function-fire before sending it back to you.

I say this as I had a similar situation occur with my Charles Daly HP a couple years ago. I sent it in as it would occasionally fail to extract, perhaps twice per 50 rounds (regardless of what ammuntion was used).

A few weeks after sending it in for warranty repair, I received it back with quite a bit of parts replaced along with a polished feed ramp and other work. I was quite disappointed when I found the pistol was experienced the same problems.

I sent it back and spoke with the technician working on the pistol. He was absolutely confounded as he had done everything he could think of that might cause such a malfunction. He fitted a new barrel to it out of curiousity and crazy as it sound, it corrected the problems.

To this day, I haven't much of a clue how replacing the barrel would have made all the difference, but hundreds of reloads through this pistol since says it did.

If you run out of options, perhaps look into a new barrel. The MK9 is too nice a pistol to give up on.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-

Last edited by Snowdog; August 28, 2010 at 05:34 AM.