The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 21, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
spraynbuckshot

Can you ID this, please?

I got this tear gas "pen" a number of years back when I was helping clean out a friend's grandmother's house (past away). Can you tell me anything about it? When was it made? Is it legal to posess? Common? Value?

Thanks for any help!
Old April 21, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2
SilentHitz

display..

Found this link that wants over $200 just for the display and 3 empty cases, I'll see else I can find on it.http://www.collectorfirearms.org/web...ms/ci-1178.htm
Old April 21, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
spraynbuckshot

That was fast. It took you less than 15 minutes to find more than I have in 3weeks! I have googled for info on this and haven't found anything yet. Keep the info coming!!

Thanks
Old April 21, 2008, 12:47 PM   #4
SilentHitz

Type: Colt Tear Gas Pen ...there's a little info on some of these links, just hard to find...I'll do a couple more searches. Edit: The colt you have is about the 3rd pic down on this link...still looking for something with dates or value. http://www.fightingknives.info/Default.aspx?tabid=844 Your's seems to be an older model though

Last edited by SilentHitz; April 21, 2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: found pics
Old April 21, 2008, 04:14 PM   #5
spraynbuckshot

Yeah that looks like what I have. thanks again!
Old April 22, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
rem870hunter

nice tear gas pen.

i had something similar it wasn't marked COLT but was for firing penguin flares. i wonder if the launcher you have there will too. i think the flares and possibly the launchers are hard to find. thanks to people making penguns.
Old April 23, 2008, 07:21 AM   #7
SilentHitz

Quote:
Yeah that looks like what I have. thanks again!
No problem, I still haven't found anything on the years this was produced, but maybe you could shoot an e-mail to Colt. They're usually pretty good about helping identify their products, couldn't hurt to try.

Enjoy the little collectors piece
Old April 23, 2008, 09:58 AM   #8
spraynbuckshot

I tried colt's Customer Service number and they said they could look up some information for a fee. I said yikes and no way! It was a great idea. I am going to take it around to a couple gun shops today to see if they know anything.
Old April 23, 2008, 11:07 AM   #9
SilentHitz

Good idea, I would pay for info either, didn't know they charged for that now. You're bound to run into someone who knows more about history on Colt items than I do. Good luck with your search for the manufacture date range and value. Edit: make that wouldn't...not would. duh

Last edited by SilentHitz; April 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typing too fast LOL
Old April 23, 2008, 11:36 AM   #10
homefires

Jensons Gun Shop in Tucson Arizona sold them back in the 70's ! You could also shoot Flares with them.

Another Lead! http://www.collectorfirearms.org/web...ms/ci-1179.htm

Last edited by homefires; April 23, 2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old April 24, 2008, 04:42 AM   #11
predator86

dude thats cool......does it work? i would have to try it out on some willing moron
Old April 24, 2008, 11:15 AM   #12
spraynbuckshot

I haven't tried it to see if it works. The spring looks and compresses as if it is brand new. The tear gas cartridges seem like they are fine. The primer still shines brightly.

I would try it if I knew I could get more cartridges.

I brought it to several shops in the area. Most where clueless on what it was.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:30 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Colt marketed those tear gas guns but they didn't make them. IIRC, they were made by Penguin. Still, an interesting piece of "Coltiana."

Jim
Old February 5, 2009, 03:31 PM   #14
alwilliam

After colt made a HUGE fortune selling ARs to the goverment they went wacko in the late 1960s and ONE CRAZY thing they did was they invested in pyrodynamics. They made those pens from late 1960s till early 1970s. They fire flares,tear gas rounds of a few types and some other special use rounds.

These versions that do not fire "fixed ammo" like yours are legal to own without a tax stamp or any other aow type problems. They sell in the real world for 50.00 to 150.00 ....Depends a lot on knowledge of buyer.

Colt/pyrodynamics also made the CIA issue explosive .22lr ,teleshot and other odd items.

I have a pile of pics of these devices.
Old March 7, 2009, 04:40 PM   #15
DoubleAction

Colt Tear Gas rounds

Hey, you found the gun that I've been looking for, for the packs of rounds that I bought at auction, maybe 20 years ago. I'm not sure where the Tear Gas rounds are now. I'll seriously look for them if you're interested. I don't have alot of 'em. I have absolutly no use for them now
Old March 7, 2009, 10:34 PM   #16
scorpion_tyr

That is very similar to the penguns that shoot flares. USAF pilots and crewmembers have them in their survival kits. The ammo looks a little bigger than the flares for those, but it works on the exact same idea. If it will shoot the flares, and you have a safe place to do so, I say try it out. It's pretty fun.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Hardtarget

I recognized that real quick.

Ms. Iva lea Birchfield carried one of those ALL the time...just in case. When I was 15 I worked with her. I told her to get a real gun. She never listened to me...about anything.

Mark.

ps: Felt I could use her name...I think she died about 30 yrs ago.
Old January 28, 2010, 01:51 PM   #18
x5acob

i have the same thing

i also have a Colt tear gas pen, that i inherited (as well as a Colt .380 special, and U.S. army S&W .45 revolver) from my father who worked for colt. I was wondering if any one knew where I can buy any flare or CS tear gas refills. i'd like to be able to test it, to see how it works, the size of the cloud, effective distance of cloud, etc. etc., before I even think about giving it to my girlfriend for protection. and the flares would be very useful on my small sail boat.

thanks,
Old January 31, 2010, 02:04 PM   #19
Bluesfan

Take it to Pawn Stars and let Chumlee try it.
Old August 18, 2010, 10:45 PM   #20
chprater

I have been looking for info on this gun as well. My dad gave one to me before he passed. He got it from his mother. I have one tear gas container and one flare. And I have also shot 25 caliber bullets from it. I have always wondered what the value was.
Old August 19, 2010, 01:36 PM   #21
PetahW

FWIW, a Colt CS Tear Gas Pen sold on AuctionArms two years ago @ $50 w/o box, etc.

Old August 20, 2010, 10:45 PM   #22
Dr. Strangelove

I have a S&W version that shoots red flares, I picked it up for $10.00 at a gun show a few years ago. Here's a link to a current (8-20-2010) auction of one:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...0346&oh=216543

As far as the legality, mine has a sticker that says it's not considered a firearm under the NFA when used for the purpose intended.