The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 15, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
owlone

Frame parts

I have a pietta remington 1858 cap and ball revolver reproduction. The trigger guard had been cut away at the front prior to my getting the gun. I'm finding it nearly impossible to find a replacement trigger guard. Pietta won't respond and let me know who in this country sells frame parts. Numrich doesn't carry them and VTI took my order and two weeks later after I asked for a tracking number admitted that they won't have one till October! Range masters won't allow this revolver on the range because of the cut away trigger guard. Internal parts are available all over the place but frame parts are more difficult to find! Any ideas?
Old August 15, 2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Maybe a dumb question but

Did you try Dixie Gun Works?

Also Winchester Sutler may have some parts for it.

[email protected]
270 Shadow Brook Lane
Winchester, VA 22603 - USA
Phone: 540 888-3595
Fax: 540 888 4632

Also Deer Creek Products - at 765-525-6181.

DGW can be a little aloof. I was in their shop a couple of months ago and they acted like I didn't have any money in my pockets. But both Winchester Sutler and Deer Creek are great people to work with.
Old August 16, 2010, 08:56 AM   #3
owlone

Piett frame parts

Doc, Thanks I thought I had drilled all through Dixie with no luck. A poster on another site found and posted it, so I'm good to go!
Old August 16, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I was just thinking

I am completely unfamiliar with the range rules associated with CAS or other sanctioned events

BUT

It is possible that you can make your Remington "legal" temporarily by installing something that you would make to complete the trigger guard.

If the rules state that the trigger guard must be unmodified, I guess you are out of luck. On the other hand if the rules state that the trigger guard must completely surround the trigger, then you might think about fabricating a part that could be screwed in place to make the pistol acceptable at least until the real thing arrives.

Again I apologize for my lack of familiarity with the rules. Perhaps you have already thought of this approach.

Tnx,
Old August 16, 2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Oooops

I just reread your post and now I understand that by "good to go" you mean that you have the part.

If that is the case, just disregard my last post.

Not having anything of value to say has never inhibited me from talking.