The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 12, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1
retiredcoasty

25 Cal Rimfire Ammo

I have a friend looking for some 25 cal rimfire ammo for a Stevens rifle. It is very rare and difficult to find. Anyone know where he can go to buy some? Thanks!

TJ
Old August 12, 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
darkgael

Indeed.

I'm looking for ya but no joy yet - and, I don't expect much. The .25 Stevens hasn't been manufactured in quite a while. I suspect that if you do find any it will be collector's item stuff and, depending on your sensiblities, too valuable to shoot.
Last I heard, a box of .25 Rimfires sold for $100 for 50. And that was .25 Short ammo - it may well have been the wrong stuff as some .25 Short was a heeled bullet and the .25 Stevens is not.
Pete
Old August 12, 2010, 04:58 PM   #3
darkgael

OK

OK. Try this link:
http://www.ammo-one.com/25-STEVENS-SHORT-R-F.html

and this:
http://www.ammo-one.com/25-STEVENS-LONG-R-F.html

Very pricey.

This link is to .25 Rimfire ammo - it may not be the Stevens ammo. Beware.
http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/1305

Yet more...there are two boxes of original .25 Stevens ammo at auction on Gunbroker.com. They are separate auctions. The starting bid is $175.00 for each.

Pete

Last edited by darkgael; August 12, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 12, 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's going to be virtually impossible to find shootable quantities of .25 rimfire ammo at prices that won't turn you or your friend into paupers.

It was never very popular, so stocks were already low when it was finally discontinued for war production.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 12, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
retiredcoasty

Thanks for the help! I have hit all the gun shops and surfed the web. Now I have a few more places to look.
Old August 12, 2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you find any in a gunshop, it's probably going to be a gunshop that's been caught in a time loop and which hasn't changed since 1938...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 13, 2010, 01:55 PM   #7
retiredcoasty

Mike, I have a gun shop that told me they could get me just about anything I could need. He is now glad that he said ‘just about anything’ because he didn’t have it. I hope there is a box at the next gun show!
Old August 13, 2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Ozzieman

$2.75 per round,,, The last time I was at Knob Creek I rented a BAR and shot two magazines through it for less than that per round.
Old August 13, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
old jeff

Retiredcoasty

You did not indicate the model number of the Stevens.

While the likelyhood of finding 25 rimfire ammo at reasonable prices is very remote, there might be another option.

Unless the Stevens is in mint condition it might be feasable to rebore the barrel and go to a barrel liner in either 17 or 22 rimfire. Of course, the extractor would need to be modified along with the firing pin.

Lee Shaver (if memory is correct) is a smith that worked on singleshots. Seems that he might still be in business at: 1020 Broadway St, Lamar, Missouri 64759
(417) 682-3330

I would suggest a phone call and discussion on this topic. It might be possible to return the rifle to shooting status with affordable ammunition. I am sure that there are other smiths that could do the work too.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:29 PM   #10
roy reali

My Idea

I think they should make a new and updated .25 rimfire. Something that replicates the ballistics of a .25-20. There is currently a cartridge that fits every possible niche in the shooting world. But a small cartridge that would launch a 70 or 75 grain bullet around 2,000fps would be great for larger vermin.

Look at the popularity of the .17 rimfires. I bet a larger caliber rimfire might work.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:23 PM   #11
dogrunner

Had one when I was a kid in the '50's.................hulluva good cartridge with a LOT more thump on a groundhog or coon than any .22. Even then the casings were copper. Bullet was a flat nosed version but I can't recall the weight. Had I known the stuff was going to go for the prices quoted I'd have squirreled some away. To my best recollection shells were somewhat difficult to obtain even then.

Likely your best bet would be to re-line that bbl to an obtainable cartridge....regardless of just how good that old .25 was I strongly doubt it'l ever see daylight again!
Old August 14, 2010, 01:16 PM   #12
RimfireChris

Several years ago, Fiocchi made a run of some, but I don't know if it's what you need. Seems like I saw it at Cheaper Than Dirt of all places, but it's not there now, maybe try Fiocchi's website?
Old August 14, 2010, 01:23 PM   #13
TXGunNut

Interesting idea, Roy. Start a thread and let's see where it goes.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.