The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
45 colt

M&P vs SR9c

I just got my Concealed carry licenses and had my mind made that I was going to get the Ruger SR9c to carry. Then I picked up a S&W M&P Compact with the thumb safety and liked it. I can get them both at close to the same price with the Mail in Rebate that S&W offer. I prefer the trigger on the M&P more than the SR9c but the Ruger is thinner. So I want to hear some more pros and cons of both.
Old August 8, 2010, 04:47 AM   #2
sonnycrockett

Rebates take 8 weeks,dont hold your breath..........

SR9c > M&Pc........
I owned both,sold the M&P Never selling the Ruger
Old August 8, 2010, 07:16 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

SR9 recall, S&W military and police compact pistols...

I'd pick the S&W military & police compact with the ambi safety & no mag safety/security lock, .
I really like the cool looking SR9c with the black slide & OD frame but S&W is really selling a lot of M&Ps and the Ruger SR9 had a factory recall a few years ago when the line first came out in the US market.
A new S&W Military&Police compact in .357sig would make a great sidearm.

Don't negate the PX4 sub compact F model 9x19mm too, . They offer a free 17rd pistol magazine until 08/31/2010. See www.berettausa.com .

Clyde
Old August 8, 2010, 07:49 AM   #4
ir3e971

I just purchased an M&P 9c with the safety yesterday. Took it to the range and put about 170 rounds through it. No problems to report.

I like it at lot. low recoil, controllable, carries well. Grip is stupendous, really like the changeable panels.

One thing to be aware of is that the safety (that protrudes) is not accounted for on most kydex holsters. The Galco Triton I bought with the gun was not working well with the safety, because it sticks out against the inner flap. However, with the application of some boiling water, and an appropriately shaped metal object, I was able to easily reshape the rear of the holster, and create a groove for the safety. Problem is now solved.

Everything I have read about the SR9c has also been positive, and you would probably be well served by either.
Old August 8, 2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Toney D

I've got an M&P 40c and really like it. Have had no problems at all with it.
Old August 8, 2010, 12:54 PM   #6
losijon

sonnycrocket-hmmmm...my rebate only took 6 weeks,and I believe they state on the coupon that it can take up to 8 weeks so I really dont see how you can complain when they tell you up front....

opinions are like you know what,everyone has one and they usually stink. I have an M&P .40 full size and I absolutely love the gun. My father in law who taught firearms classes for one of the countries biggest SO's suggested it and after about 10 months of my own research I bought it and can't wait to buy another. Pick what works best for you,thats all you need to do. If it's comfortable and reliable then get it. Have fun.
Old August 8, 2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Coltman 77

I've been very pleased with my full size M&P 9. Accurate and reliable.

S&W customer service is the best. Hopefully you won't need it, but with the lifetime warranty it's good to know it's there.

Many police departments have adopted the M&P, I don't think this is true of the Ruger.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 8, 2010, 01:05 PM   #8
45 colt

Thanks for the input, i would like to see some pics if possible of how easy it is to conceal the M&P if possible thanks.
Old August 10, 2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Tomac

Another plus for the M&Pc is that affordable APEX parts are available to greatly improve the trigger if desired.
Tomac
Old August 10, 2010, 12:42 PM   #10
comn-cents

I went with the sr9c and it is my daily CCW. I have over 600 rounds through it without a problem. I liked the feel of it better than the S&W but that is just me. I don't hear bad things about the S&W so pick the one you like the best.
Old August 10, 2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Indy_Guy_77

M&P9c + Apex Tactical hard sear (factory polished) + Raven Concealment holster FTW!

If you're still on the fence: If you go S&W, I suggest that you get two mags with the "rebate" as opposed to the cash. New mags hover around $30 apiece, so two mags at $25/per is a pretty good deal.

And you DO want more magazines...

-J-
Old August 10, 2010, 06:24 PM   #12
45 colt

Ok i went with the S&W trying out different holsters going to a gun show to hopefully find a nice holster.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:26 PM   #13
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Ok i went with the S&W
Too bad
Old August 10, 2010, 07:20 PM   #14
losijon

Hoss-everyone knows you dont like the M&P,you have made that very clear in SEVERAL other threads. I suggest that if you dont have positive input why don't you just not comment in the thread at all...enjoy your day.
Old August 10, 2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Hoss-everyone knows you dont like the M&P,you have made that very clear in SEVERAL other threads. I suggest that if you dont have positive input why don't you just not comment in the thread at all...enjoy your day.
Now how would EVERYBODY know that
Please dont presume to suggest ANYTHING to me & BTW I really dont care if you enjoy your day or not
Old August 13, 2010, 09:58 PM   #16
losijon

Hoss-because you have made it perfectly clear,over and over...you beat that drum every chance you get. and I could care less if you care chief. Have fun being old and mad at the world.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:06 AM   #17
tristar viper

I'm sorta with Hoss, I don't care for any M&P I've ever shot (and that number is 4), plus they're ugly guns. Yes my Glock is ugly too but at least I like shooting it.
I'd personally take the SR9C cause I shot it and loved it. I'd say it has a strange feeling trigger at first, but you quickly learn to like it and it's better to me than the gritty, sticky trigger in the M&P's I've shot recently. The Ruger was really fun to shoot. I may still pick one up in the future.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:50 AM   #18
jeepman4804

If the M&P's you shot had gritty/sticky triggers then you need to do a better job of cleaning them before you shoot them or shoot them another 250 rounds if they are brand new. None of my factory triggers were gritty/sticky out of the box, they were a bit heavy, but that lightened up after about 500 rds, and then again when I put Apex parts in em. I currently own 5 M&P's and have not had any problems from any of them. I can not say the same for 1 of the Glocks I used to own, nor the XD that I carry for work.
Clay
Old August 14, 2010, 10:26 AM   #19
tristar viper

They weren't my guns. Two were from a range and two belonged to a buddy of mine. The one at the range was about two months ago. It was a relatively new .40 compact M&P. The rangemaster said they had complaints that it was a gritty trigger, and they cleaned it a couple times with no result. So we went together upstairs and got a NEW one out of the case and dry-fired it....same gritty trigger. I rented the gun because I liked the way it felt and I thought I might like to have an M&P, as I know some (not all) guys like them. But with the trigger as it was, I passed on it. Shot the SR9C and liked it much better anyway.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:27 AM   #20
losijon

+1 ^^^^^
Old August 14, 2010, 01:22 PM   #21
stevieboy

I don't own either so in that sense I don't have a dog in this hunt. However, I've fired both -- a lot -- and they're both fine guns. I have a slight preference for the Ruger. I like the thinner grips and it just shoots a bit more accurately for me than the M & P. In fact, I've come close on several occasions to buying an SR9 and have failed to do so only because something else that I wanted more happened along.
Old August 14, 2010, 04:12 PM   #22
O'Dell

I have an M&P c 45, and while I agree that it is the ugliest of my six 45's, it's a very good shooting pistol. The accuracy is equal to my P220 and 4586 [for me], and better than the PM45, XD 45 or 24/7. The function has been flawless for over 600 rounds.
Old August 15, 2010, 06:00 AM   #23
Logs

I like the feel of the Ruger, but have not shot one.

I have both the full size and compact M&P and have been very pleased with both.