The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 7, 2010, 05:45 AM   #1
ks4greenthumb

S&W 642-2 aluminum alloy frame coating

While I was cleaning my newly purchased Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight I noticed the dirty solvent ( Hoppe's No.9) was causing the frame to look funny. When I tried to wipe the solvent off of the frame some of the coating came off with it. What happened???? I thought it was solvent safe. Is it ruined? What can I do to fix it? Any suggestions and/or information about this issue would be very much appreciated. The dirty solvent " stained" the frame and will not wipe off.
Old August 7, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
mete

Read an follow the manual !! There are special coatings on aluminum and titanium frames .Don't damage them. If you have any questions ask S&W.
Old August 7, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
dyl

Hi,

I have 642-2 as well and I was concerned about this too. Mine hasn't been peeling but I read around and I think someone recommended Hoppe's Elite as less harmful to the clear coat. You might want to verify that if you're interested. If it upsets you, you can always call S&W and see what they think or if they're willing to refinish it.

But it is just a clear coat and the aluminum underneath is still anodized.

Out of paranoia I've just been using gun oil to clean and no flaking as of yet. A search of "clear coat" and "S&W642" will show lots of results but most just made me even more concerned. You've got a great gun.
Old August 8, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
ks4greenthumb

The Hoppe's No.9 is supposed to be okay for the 642 and I think it would have been fine but, looking back, I'm pretty sure there were existing nicks in the clear coat and I believe the solvent got under the clear coat at those spots and they became worse. I bought the gun used and should have inspected it a little closer before buying it. This was my first pistol purchase and I was excited to find what I was looking for at the ideal price. After closer inspection I found a lot to indicate the previous owner did not clean the barrel and cylinder very well. There was a lot of powder residue in both. That's why I was using solvent in the first place. Also, there are quite a few nicks and dings on the frame. I blame myself for buying it even though it was a little messed up. Oh well, it's in okay shape but I'll lay off the Hoppe's No.9!!!!! Thanks for your input guys.
Old August 9, 2010, 01:47 PM   #5
dyl

Well, even though it's flaking you can look on bright side since your 642's still a great gun. Now you have an idea about how you feel about j-frames in general, the size, weight, trigger pull, sights, carry possibilities, accuracy, or what you'd look for in your next one/not look for. It'll still probably last you a long time and I bet you got a good deal on it. And if it doesn't look so pretty I'll bet you won't be afraid to shoot the daylights out of it and you'll end up getting pretty good with it.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Odd. I use Hoppes on my Airweight 637 and have never had a problem. I'm guessing you didn't buy your gun new, but either way it might be worth a call to S&W.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:47 PM   #7
geetarman

Here is a thought. Maybe the person who owned the gun before you touched up the coating. . .

Geetarman
Old August 9, 2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Dave Chuppa

Our Shop has sent a few back for the same problem. Smith has replaced them. I'll stick with the 442. The finish on mine is a year old, has been carried daily in a pocket holster, and still looks new.
Old August 13, 2010, 01:28 AM   #9
ks4greenthumb

I was wondering if I should try to touch it up and, if so, with what. I keep my guns clean and well protected from the elements so I'm not really worried about corrosion or anything, it's purely cosmetics at this point. I get my first chance to shoot it this weekend I can't wait. I've never shot a " snubby" before. I've got the S&W wood grips on mine, I'm thinking the rubber grips would've helped a bit with recoil but I like the look of the wood better. Have a great weekend everyone.