The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 7, 2010, 02:17 PM   #1
jclayto

Lead bullet stuck in 686 cylinder

Well folks, I guess I had my first squib today. I have a lead pullet stuck in one of the cylinders of my 686. The bullet is partially sticking out the muzzle end, but its in there pretty good.

Any tricks to getting it out, or should I take it to a smith?
Old August 7, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't think you need a gunsmith, just a brass or aluminum rod not too much smaller than the bullet. If you can get the cylinder open, support the back end on a work bench, put one end of the rod on the bullet nose and tap the other end with a hammer. The bullet should come out easily.

If you can't get the cylinder open, use a rod long enough that you can insert it into the muzzle until it rests on the bullet nose, then tap as above.

NOTE: DO NOT USE A WOOD DOWEL! If the bullet is tight, the dowel will split and add to your problems!

Jim
Old August 8, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
celtgun

Keenan ++

It is hard to add to Jim's advice on any subject. All I would add is that a little Kroil never hurt any thing you can't get to move on a gun or any other thing made of metal. Will reduce force needed, reducing chance of harming anything on cylinder. Patience and Kroil. Let it soak, doesn't take much.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
Old August 8, 2010, 08:21 AM   #4
jclayto

Thanks guys, will give it a shot today. Before posting yesterday I filled that cylinder with Remoil hoping it would penetrate and lube things up. It has been sitting since yesterday, maybe I"ll try Kroil as well if I can't get it moving.

This really shook me up, I am just thankful it was in a revolver, could have been a bad situation in a auto.
Old August 8, 2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Brownell's sell a "squib rod" specifically for removing bullets stuck in bores and chambers.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...duct/SQUIB_ROD