The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2010, 01:03 AM   #1
mcw3734

Experience with Drop & Offset Holster?

I have a S&W 629 Mountain Gun that I’ll be carrying while I hike and bowhunt in bear/lion country. I’ve been having a hard time finding the kind of holster I want. My key requirement is that I can wear it while wearing a hip pack or full sized backpack (you know, with the hip pads) and that it is not attached to the pack so that even if I dump the pack, my gun is still with me. I don’t want to wear it on the chest.

So one thing suggested to me that does look very promising is the Drop & Offset Holster from Blade-Tech. I see from their web site that it is adjustable, but I’m not sure if it will be Dropped & Offset enough to still wear a hip pack. It might, but not sure.

http://www.blade-tech.com/DOH-Droppe...product_images

On the other end, a tactical holster that rides really low on the belt, but not quite a thigh holster. I’m looking at the Eagle Mark 3. It’s still looks like the majority of the weight will be on the hip, but drops just low enough to have a single thigh strap. However, this Eagle model doesn’t seem to come in a S&W 629 flavor.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/home.php?cat=54

So I want to know if anybody has experience with the Blade-Tech holster… can you see yourself wearing it with a hip pack? Any other manufacturers of Drop & Offset holsters out there? Any custom makers that might be able to cook something up for me? What about those Eagle Mark 3-type holsters for revolvers?

Thanks for taking the time!
Old July 31, 2010, 07:30 AM   #2
rayban

I made this one for a fella who had a very similar situation as yours, in that he wanted his gun to ride "exactly right here".......I'm not saying that this is the rig you're looking for, but rather you should get together with a custom maker who will make the rig to fit your gun, and to have it ride on your body exactly as you want it.....there has to be someone in the land of blue football fields (??)