The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2000, 04:49 PM   #1
Zach Vonler

I'm wondering if anyone has tried reloading brass fired in an HK91. It looks pretty trashed to me, but I'm new to loading so maybe it's ok. There's both a major dent in the side from hitting the ejection port, and ridges that run lengthwise all the way from the mouth to the shoulder due to the chamber fluting. Any input?
Old December 7, 2000, 04:57 PM   #2
Steve Smith

Those rifles are not built with reloading in mind. Even if you can re size them, I would not want to be near when they're fired again. I wouldn't do it.
Old December 7, 2000, 07:06 PM   #3
beemerb

I have reloaded brass fired through a HK and had no problems with them.Probably the amount of times they can be reloaded will be less due to brass stress but that should be all.
Old December 7, 2000, 08:50 PM   #4
Steve Smith

Hmm..I'm surprised. It's good to know, though.
Old December 7, 2000, 11:51 PM   #5
Airborne

Finding the brass after firing has always been my problem, as the 91 (or any HK rifle) sure does fling 'um...and $.15 a round surplus ammo sure does beat reloading. Personally, I don't repack brass that has been fired from ANY HK shoulder weapon. If you must, recycle the brass fired from another "kinder- gentler" weapon first, and then forget about it. Brass that hammered looking can't be worth the risks.

SM
Old December 8, 2000, 11:09 AM   #6
Intel6

I have been reloading the brass from my HK91 for 15+ years and haven't had any problems. I found I need to leave them in the tumbler longer than my other dirty brass and they still don't look the greatest but they reload and shoot fine. I have loaded some cases 5 times with no problems. I usually end up tossing them becasue the 91 really tears up the brass and the case head gets torn up from the extractor and ejector.