The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2010, 09:28 AM   #1
GaryDZ

45 ACP Brass

I reload 45 ACP for gallery match target shooting - 200 gr SWC over 3.8 gr. Bullseye. I have heard good things about Starline brass but every time I look for it on Midway's site they are out of stock. However, they almost always have 45 ACP +P. A bit more expensive but still a better deal than Remington or Winchester.
Is there any functional difference between the two? I would assume the +P is for hotter loads but will my pistol know the difference with what I am reloading?
Old July 26, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
cryogenic419

It should be fine in your pistol.

You may need to tweak your load a tad as the brass is slightly thicker in the +p cases giving you slightly higher pressures. Pulled this from Starline's website.

"The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto."

Starline is good brass you will not be disappointed.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Jim243

Gary

If there is a +P 45 ACP I would be supprised, but almost anything supprises me nowadays. For your shooting you will not be using +P loads so I would look at it as a waste of extra money.

In pistol, I will use any case that is in good condition no mater who it is mfg by. When Midway has their sale on once fired brass, I jump on it and pick up 500 to 1,000 cases of crudded, dirty, scrungy cases, toss them in the tummbler and go through them when they come out. Stuff that looks like it went through WWII gets tossed and the rest reloaded.(90% comes out looking brand new)

New Starline and Magtech brass is a bit cheaper than Remington or Winchester (Winchester prices have gone absured nowadays).

For what you are using them for any good condition case will do, the bullet is more important than the case.

Now for rifle, that is a completely different story and I get real pickey on what is used.

Good Shooting and good luck.

Jim
Old July 26, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If there is a +P 45 ACP I would be supprised"

There is.

It's a bit heavier than Starline's standard .45 ACP brass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I would also order it direct. Midway charges more. Starline says they will have more .45 ACP available September 3rd. They will have more +P on August 31.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 26, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Doodlebugger45

I really like Starline brass a lot. I have bought it for .357 and .454 cases. Like others though, it is often difficult to find in stock. I have never found it in stock for my .44 mag or 45 LC or even .480 Ruger. For some odd reason, it is cheaper than new Winchester or Remington brass but it is much better. Hornady brass is also good stuff but it's a bit pricier than the others. I have bought it for .454 and .480 loading.
Old July 26, 2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

It sure is more consistent. About half the weight deviation of the major commercial brands. R-P brass is too thin at the neck and wears out or work-hardens until it refuses to resize. They outsource so much stuff overseas these days, I never know what to expect from them. Winchester lasts well, but no better than Starline or Top Brass. New Top Brass (scharch.com) .45 ACP is just as good and consistent, but is also not easy to get in some sizes.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 26, 2010, 12:35 PM   #8
GaryDZ

Thanks everyone for your help!!
Old July 27, 2010, 07:40 PM   #9
wilkersk

If you're reloading on a Dillon press with Dillon powder die, watch out. A standard Dillon powder die has trouble digesting Starline .45acp brass.

Starline will modify your Type "E" powder die for free. I sent mine in with a note, and got it back in about a week.

Works fine now, for all brass, not just Starline.
Old July 27, 2010, 07:53 PM   #10
amamnn

Hornady tried to market their .45 acp brass as +P. It was not one of their success stories. Graf seems to be an outlet for failed marketing schemes used by more than just Hornady. I have bought new Federal .243 WSSM brass there. Some folks swore there was no such thing. It was made by Winchester's manufacturer for sale to Federal when they thought they might load and sell WSSM ammo. The project was abandoned and the leftover brass sold to Graf. I also bought 100 pc. of the +P brass from graf some months ago when I could not get Starline anywhere, including their own website. The +P is ok brass if a bit pricey. I assume the +P brass on Midway's site is the same--it was the last time I looked.