The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2010, 12:36 PM   #26
wogpotter

Borrow another scale & check it against that?

How to confuse a physicist?
Give him 2 thermometers & ask him the exact temperature.

How to confuse a photographer?
Give him 2 light meters & ask him the exact exposure.

How to confuse a shooter?
Give him 2 targets & ask him for the range.

How to confuse a reloader?
give him a set of dippers & a scale & ask him for the exact charge weight.
Old July 21, 2010, 12:48 PM   #27
Memnok

I have access to some high grade scientific scales at the University where I work. They go out several decimal places as I recall, way further than would be useful in reloading. I'm thinking that I can make my own check weights using a couple short lengths from a paper clip for the smaller weights, and coins for the heavier weights. While weight may vary from coin to coin of the same type, using the same coin of a known weight should not be a problem. I'll just keep them all together in a set.

As for atomic decay, well, I'll just have to take my chances.

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 21, 2010, 01:11 PM   #28
snuffy

Fer cryin out loud, buy a check weight set!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=212586

Sending for and getting the check weight set, $35.00/with shipping

Using the set to determine if your scale is accurate, no cost.

Confidence that your powder charges are right on,,,, PRICELESS!

I bought that exact set 5 years ago. Ya know something, it doesn't wear out. It don't bother you while it sits on your shelf. But if you suspect that the powder charge you just dumped on the scale, it's right there to verify the scale is right on.

I've been using a RCBS/pact digital powder pro scale for the last 15 years. It's never failed me, and each time I use the check weights, it's right on. I have a simple lee balance beam scale for back-up if the power fails, it too is right on----IF you want the aggravation of getting it set!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 21, 2010, 02:20 PM   #29
jmak

I weighted eight dimes on the scale;
4 at 35.0
1 at 35.2
2 at 35.3
1 at 35.4

Looks like one of the 4 35.0 dimes would work as a reference but I ended up buying some check weights (grams) on ebay for $18.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-SCALE-...item3c9b04b486
Old July 21, 2010, 03:49 PM   #30
engineermike

Well, if we don't get anything straight here but this, then remember. Grams is what drug dealers use and grains is what gun loaders use.
Old July 21, 2010, 03:53 PM   #31
wogpotter

Ya mean I can't get 46 grams of 748BR in a .308 case?
Darn
Old July 21, 2010, 05:33 PM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been using coins for over 30 years and I still have all my fingers and all my toes...

Hey, where the hell did my nose go?

I always mean to buy a set of check weights, but I always find something else to spend my money on.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:54 PM   #33
abber

Kudos, Snuffy. For the cost of one box of bullets.....

Also, I recommend tweezers for handling the weights. In the pharmaceutical industry, we never handle our check weights with our bare hands. Keeps em perfect.
Old July 22, 2010, 01:11 AM   #34
lll Otto lll

Quote:
I always mean to buy a set of check weights, but I always find something else to spend my money on.
Same here, but after 16 years I finally broke down and bought a Lyman set.
It's comforting to know that my 505 scale is still accurate after two decades of use.
Old July 22, 2010, 07:40 AM   #35
wncchester

"...a way to check the accuracy for 10 -15 grains of powder? I know they sell check weights but I don't really want to spend $25.00 to get a set."

Jmak, you really don't need check weights. Just zero balance the beam and use a bullet as heavy as you can get and use it for an confirmation check. Any error between the ends of its range depends on the beam and poise weights, it would take easily visible damage to induce any error.

Even if you had a check weight set and your 505 was off a tenth or so, what would you do? It can't be calibrated, that's all in the beam! As long as the beam notches are in good shape and gravity continues to work, your scale will remain as accurate as it ever was, and that was pretty damp good. Unless you've damaged the pivot beam's knife edges or let it get dirty/dusty, it will be repeatable.

Industrial/medical/scientific scale accuracy is important but only because they deal with things being also being measured by others. We don't do that, we weigh our own stuff on our own scale so it matters not what a charge may read on another scale. Therefore reloaders really don't need highly precise accuracy, close is good enough, but we do need high repeatablity. Meaning, if you develop a load at what YOUR scale shows as 15 gr. you really don't care if it's off a couple tenths, all you need is that the next time you want to duplicate that charge you can do it precisely, the exact weight to a tenth won't matter at all.

I do have some check weights, I used to work in a calibration lab for lab scales, but I don't need them for reloading. As III Otto III found, the accuracy of his 16 year old 505 is as good as new. Ditto my 45 year old 1010. So is yours.

Last edited by wncchester; July 22, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old July 22, 2010, 09:09 AM   #36
engineermike

Wncchester,
Now that's what i'm talking about. what was that again? Yea! "REPEATABILITY" for the load that fits your bullet for your gun. Just can't beat gravity "It makes everything work" I wish I could get a patent on that stuff, (gravity) but i must admit that checking my scale (Beam or Gravity) just makes me feel good. Just like a day at the spa, it make you feel good but not sure the cost is worth it, but it just feels good. So my wife says, i've never been to a spa exept to pay the bill and pick up my wife, but i've never been.

Mike
Old July 22, 2010, 11:29 AM   #37
wncchester

Engineermike: "i must admit that checking my scale (Beam or Gravity) just makes me feel good."

LOL! Yeah, it does feel good to see a scale point to "zero" when a known weight is correctly indicated, I know the feeling. But, since we really can't do anything 'bout it in the VERY rare instance a beam scale might be off a tad, I see no REAL value in buying a set of weights, a bullet is close enough for our needs. Sierras small caliber target bullets have proven quite consistant for me.

I ain't no real engineer, I just found this train driver hat.
Old July 22, 2010, 11:39 AM   #38
engineermike

Best job in the world.