The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 15, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1
DubC-Thompson

Bushmaster M4A3??? Opinions???

I've been shopping around for an Ar15, and im not quite sure what brand to go with. My buddy recently bought a spikes tactical LE carbine. I was also looking at a S&W M&P 15. But the Bushmaster 16" Heavy Bbl. M4A3 caught my eye. Apparently the military uses them, so it must be alright. It has the fixed front sight and detachable carying handle. I might put a troy rear folding battle sight on it. The barrel is 1:9 which is fine because id be shooting the surplus 5.56 ammo. Looking for opinions or experience on this rifle. -Thanks
Old July 16, 2010, 08:25 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

My BM M4gery has been trouble free for four years now, my A2 has been the same for three years. Not totally mil-spec but neither am I.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Quentin2

What prices have you found for the BM? Reason I ask is the Spikes LE carbine and midlength are selling for great prices and should be the best choice of the three you listed. Also CDNN has had incredible prices on the M&P-15.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Apparently the military uses them, so it must be alright.
The military bought 63 of them back in the early 1990s for Anniston to play with. That is pretty much the extent of their U.S. military use, though some of the PSC's out there have used them.

Bushmaster is OK. They haven't done much to innovate or keep up with AR market trends, so you can usually find a better set of features for the same price by looking around.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Blackops_2

Whats the price on it? I have plans for a AR myself. I had planned on a colt. But do to the fact that i want a 14.5 with a flash hider making it 16.1, i'm just going to get a BCM Upper and lower. At lowest you can get both with bolt carrier group and charging handle for around 850+. So thats why i ask whats the price on the bushmaster you could possibly get better for cheaper. As BCM are great ARs.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:13 AM   #6
thesheepdog

Get a BCM, Daniel Defense, or RRA.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Blackops_2

I have a question sheepdog. What would be the weight difference in a BCM assembled AR and a colt 6920? Or am i looking at about the same weight. The only reason i ask, is because i have a friend that bought a RRA and it's about 2 pounds heavier than a colt which is ridiculous to me. I mean it literally sucks carrying it around. I prefer the lightweight of the colt.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Mobuck

The M-4geries are a fad. There is absolutely no reason for a civilian to need the grenade launcher cut on the barrel. It's a source of weakness and detrimental to accuracy. Same with the bayo lug but it doesn't hurt anything by it's presence. Almost every brand has pros and cons, but most are adequate for civilian use. Most are built with milspec parts and assembled as quick as possible w/o much regard for perfect fit. Regardless of brand, four parts determine the useability of the rifle:barrel, bolt, trigger, and hammer. If the bolt/barrel fit is good, barrel is correctly cut, and the trigger/hammer interface is smooth and square., it's more likely the rifle will be accurate and shootable. This all just my opinion and experience.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:49 AM   #9
thesheepdog

Quote:
I have a question sheepdog. What would be the weight difference in a BCM assembled AR and a colt 6920? Or am i looking at about the same weight. The only reason i ask, is because i have a friend that bought a RRA and it's about 2 pounds heavier than a colt which is ridiculous to me. I mean it literally sucks carrying it around. I prefer the lightweight of the colt.
BlackOps2,
It all depends on what comes with the assembled BCM. The Colt 6920 uses a Gov profile barrel, and a standard CAR handguard, which makes it lightweight, but you'll suffer some accuracy because of a light barrel profile and a non-free floating handguard.

Most BCM I have seen come with a quad rail which are light, but, not as light as a standard handguard. I am not suer what profile of barrel the BCM uses, but I know they are BAD-TO-THE-BONE!

What setup is on your friends RRA?
Old July 16, 2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Blackops_2

I can't recall the model but if i remember right it's just the basic entry AR. Or the basic entry tactical model. Something of that notion but its too heavy for a AR IMO.

For My Build:
BCM 14.5 M4 upper (16.1)
BCM Lower
BCM bolt carrier and standard charging handle
Knight Armament KAC 7" M4 RAS
Aimpoint Comp M4-H
Magpul P-mags
Magpul MOE Buttstock
Old July 16, 2010, 10:53 AM   #11
noyes

Quote:
But do to the fact that i want a 14.5 with a flash hider

Me like too 14.5 ,
HEAVY barrel , ya the whole rifle weighs

Last edited by noyes; July 20, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old July 16, 2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Blackops_2

I love 14.5. Hell wish i could get 14.5 with the flash hider but legally haha. Alot of people don't think there is enough difference in a 16" and a 14.5 with permanent flash hider. But there really is, because a 16" is technically 18 if you think about it. 16" barrel then a 2" flash hider. My interest in my AR build is HD and plinking and in case of HD shorter length=more maneuverability regardless how much shorter.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:07 AM   #13
JWT

I've had my M4A3 for a bit over a year. It's been flawless thus far. Very accurate with open sights - haven't tried any optics on it yet. I'm quite pleased with the gun overall and would not hesitate to recommend one.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:27 AM   #14
DubC-Thompson

M4A3

I Found One online for $919 that ships free.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:31 AM   #15
thesheepdog

Quote:
For My Build:
BCM 14.5 M4 upper (16.1)
BCM Lower
BCM bolt carrier and standard charging handle
Knight Armament KAC 7" M4 RAS
Aimpoint Comp M4-H
Magpul P-mags
Magpul MOE Buttstock
Sweet setup!!
Old July 16, 2010, 11:32 AM   #16
thesheepdog

Quote:
M4A3
I Found One online for $919 that ships free.
Heavy Barrel? I would recommend at least a medium weight. The M4 profile is light, but heats up quickly with rapid fire.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Blackops_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSheepdog
Sweet setup!!
Thanks, now just have to find the time and money to get the setup. I still got to get my Long range setup going. But it's almost done.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:15 PM   #18
Bartholomew Roberts

Weight difference is likely due to barrel profile. A 16" HBAR weighs more than a 20" A2 barrel. A real M4 profile (like the 6920) will be much lighter under the handguards. You may not need the grenade launcher cut; but a lot of people like the balance of the lighter M4 barrel.
Old July 16, 2010, 02:12 PM   #19
DubC-Thompson

Yes its the heavy barrel model of the M4A3. I think they make a m4a3 with a light contour barrel too