The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 4, 2010, 07:26 AM   #1
fredeee

Best Concealed Carry Option for Warm Weather - Kahr PM9 vs. Walther PPS

My Kimber Ultra Carry 9mm 1911 is a bit big and uncomfortable for daily carry, especially in the summer. BTW I carry IWB at the 4-5 o'clock position. Any suggestions welcome but I've narrowed it down to the following: the Kahr PM9 and Walther PPS. Have held both and are comparably priced. Leaning towards the Walther.

Would appreciate thoughts based on actual experience (reliability, ergonomics, concealability, etc). Also not looking for the absolute smallest firearm out there, one that is an effective shooter but extremely easy to conceal with a t-shirt and shorts.

Just for giggles, I've also researched two polar opposites (from a cost point of view) for this type of pistol, the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Rohrbaugh R9S. The Kel-tec being the least expensive and the Rohrbaugh being on the high-end. Not too worried about cost, just want to get the best option for my money.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old July 4, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
BerettaBuckeye

I think either one will serve you well but my experience is with Kahr. When I was in your position I decided against the PPS because of the funky mag release and the fact that the grip adapter thing will disable the gun if dislodged. Since then it seems people are happy with the mag release and there have been no issues with the grip thing so I'm sure the PPS is a good choice...I just don't like the design of the gun. All of my Kahrs however are great. Either way I think you're making a great choice but in my opinion I like the Kahr
- Jeff Cooper
Old July 4, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Uncle Malice

My vote here goes for the PPS. I was really looking at both of these pistols before I made my choice as well. The Kahr is a bit smaller. In the end it really came down to the reliability of Smith & Wesson Customer Service backing the Walther product.

I ended up finding a decent deal on a used PPS with 3 mags (1 of each size, which was perfect.)

I put about 250-300 rounds through it over 3 range trips. The gun shoots very accurately. Recoil is much better than I would have expected from such a small gun. I did, however, have multiple failures to extract the spent casings, stovepipes, and a few failures to lock the slide back (although I believe that was me riding the slide release). The trigger was also very gritty and heavy.

I called up S&W Customer Service and explained the issues I was having with my new-to-me-but-used pistol and asked if they had any suggestions as to what I should try. The man that I talked to immediately offered to send me a pre-paid FedEx shipping label and said that they would take care of the issues.

When I send the gun in last Thursday(6/24) I included the note describing the problems that I am having. I also put in a request to have them install night sights and to call for a credit card number, if needed. I haven't heard back yet, but it's only been a week. I am confident that they will resolve my issues and assuming that all is well, I will probably have the PPS done in Robar NP3 coating.

All things being equal, you can always rely on Smith & Wesson to take care of you. I have not owned a Kahr, but I hear that they are great guns - if you get a good one. You will find numerous stories on here about people who send their gun back to Kahr several times without having their issues resolved. I can not personally attest to this - but I am very confident in Smith & Wesson..... and that alone was probably the deciding factor in my choice of the Walther PPS.

Good Luck!
Old July 4, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
zombieslayer

I chose the walther. Mine has a nice trigger and is by far the most accurate carry-size pistol I own. Its sweaty in Fl and I just can't carry a blocky double-stack here in the summer. I actually like the mag release- one range trip, and I find myself wishing more guns had this type. Another suggestion I'll make is looking into a snubbie revolver. I bought a 640, and other than my PPS, its the most comfortable to carry. The size and shape just work really well for me. Fwiw- I carry at about 2 o'clock. Also, in summer pocket carry is always an option. Sometimes when its really hot and wardrobe allows, an LCP in an OWB thumb-break is comfy. Yrmv, good luck.
Old July 4, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
fredeee

Great advice, thank you!

Great forum, my first visit and great responses. Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get my hands on both for a test fire which I'm not too confident I'll be able to do. I too was concerned about the mag release on the Walther but after just a few moments playing with it at my local dealer, it seemed to work pretty well. And while the Walther was rather small, it still felt surprisingly full size. Being I'm a IWB type, not too worried of it literally fitting inside a pocket.

Again, thanks for all your advice! At the moment I'm on the fence being what I'm hearing here is pretty much what's being said everywhere, both are great carry pistols.
Old July 4, 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Uncle Malice

I am mostly an IWB guy too, but I have found the I can easily carry the PPS is the front pocket of my cargo shorts(not the cargo pocket). They are plenty big and deep - I can even fit my Glock 19 in there - and the gun is so thin that it doesn't print. The Glock certainly prints.

If you're mostly going for IWB, I think the PPS would be better in that role. Get something like a Comp-Tac MTAC and it will disappear.

I really like the magazine release and it's easy to get used to. In speaking with a buddy who has the PM9, he said that he had an issue with his finger wrapping all the way around the gun and accidentally depressing the magazine release. He also has pretty long fingers, but it may be something to keep in mind.
Old July 4, 2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Coltman 77

The PPS is an excellent sidearm. Walther really hit a homerun with this one, IMO.

I've had one for maybe 18 months and love it. Accurate, very reliable, easy to conceal and easy to take down and clean.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old July 4, 2010, 12:55 PM   #8
hdawson228

My Kahr CW9 has been flawless. I prefer no dangling appendages and it's perfect for waistband, in or out.
Old July 4, 2010, 02:13 PM   #9
AustinTX

I'm crazy about my new barely-used PPS. Unbelievable accuracy and, ever since I cleaned out a bunch of caramelized grease/oil the previous owner idiotically dumped into the striker assembly, it has functioned flawlessly. You can search my short post history for some more thoughts on the PPS. Also, search "PPS" on this site, and check out http://waltherforums.net/ and http://ppstalk.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6 for more info.

I don't have much experience with Kahrs, aside from putting 100 rounds through a rented CW9. It seemed like a quality weapon, but the trigger pull wasn't really to my liking. I've read enough complaints to come away with the impression that quality control at Kahr is not top-notch. I've also read more than a few complaints about Kahr customer service, too.

All indications are that S&W will fully take care of any problem your Walther PPS might have, even if the warranty has expired and even if you aren't the original owner.
BERETTA Billennium (x4)|92 Steel I (x4)|92G Elite II|92FS (x4)|8045F|84BB—SIG P210-5 (x2)|P210-6 (x3)|P49—SIG SAUER P226 X6|P226 X5 (x2)|P220|P228|P229—HK P7M10 (x2)|USP Elite—COLT Gold Cup NM (x2)|Python (x4)|OM Match|OM|Ofc Police—S&W 41|57|57|48—BROWNING HP—VALMET Lahti—MAUSER Luger|HSc|1910—USFA 1910—FREEDOM ARMS 83—MAB PA15—BENELLI B76—SAVAGE 1917—WALTHER P38 (x2)|PPS—GLOCK 17—RUGER P89—ČZ 75 Champion|52—RADOM Tokarev—IZHEVSK Makarov—ARSENAL Makarov—FÉG ACK—KAHR P380
Old July 4, 2010, 05:36 PM   #10
(BH)

Yeah, the PPS is about as good as it gets in the compact 9mm world (IMO).

Let's see here.... it's super light, super thin, shoots as well as any full size I own, best trigger on any gun of it's kind, amazing warranty, accurate, and just plain fun.

Plus you have a product backed by S&W. Here's a little example of how great S&W can be: I just called them to order a new guide-rod because mine is old and slightly bent. I bought this gun lightly used from a friend, and have no proof of purchase or warranty info. When I called them, I was at work and didn't even have the serial number handy. I asked about BUYING a new guide-rod. The guy then asked if I would prefer them to send me a free shipping label so I could send it to them so they can install the guide-rod for free. I'd mentioned that it was one of my carry guns and he said that they would give the gun a good once over to make sure that none of the other parts needed any attention. So now my PPS is on vacation back to it's birthplace.

That's some pretty good service. I don't know any other huge companies that will take a gun back that isn't even broken, replace something like a guide-rod, and give the rest of it some TLC "just in case it needs it."

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson

Tags
concealed , kahr pm9 , walther pps