The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 18, 2010, 02:34 AM   #26
Doc Hoy

Guess What!

Perhaps you recall in a previous post that I reported that trott2holland's relist of the item resulted in a no-sale because 45.00 was less than the reserve price. I am absolutely certain that while the auction was active that 45.00 bid was shown as not meeting the reserve.

I just checked and the finished auction is reflected as a completed sale with the reserve price, still at 45.00, having been met.

So apparently the seller on Gunbroker has the option to reduce the reserve price after the auction closes.

I am having a very bad reaction to GB policies.

trott2holland will probably post negative feedback on me in retaliation for my honesty.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:22 AM   #27
madcratebuilder

You did the right thing Doc by leaving negative feed back.
I just had a bad experience on GB. I bought a recoil pad, ended with my opening bid of 22.00. Seller has a automated check out and this check out bumped the price to my max bid of 26.00, a 4.00 increase over the closing bid. Then he wants 12.00 to ship a 2oz item. I sent two e-mails with no response. I see he just complained to GB about me as a non paying bidder. I guess we well just swap negative feed back, 52+ and 1- Oh well.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:45 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

MCB

One of the responses last night prompted me to do a bit more checking.

It isn't easy but there is a way to get Gunbroker off their dead a__ __ and give the buyer a little help.

I have openned a case and will see what they do to rectify my situation. Might be you could get some help too.

In my case the item has already been sold. I no longer want it because I want nothing from this deadbeat. (Obviously I would complete the auction to stay within the bounds of GB.) I think it would be cool if they would force him to sell the item to me at my first winning bid, That means he has to default on the second auction (unless he has two grips from an 1851 Navy). Negative feedback from both me and the other guy....

Nice to dream.
Old June 18, 2010, 08:24 AM   #29
starbuck125

doc,
you stick to your guns, you did right by posting negative feedback, people like that are the ones that make honest folks mistrust others. for the life of me, i can"t see how a person could be dishonest like that. ok, he might have made a mistake on his item he was selling, BUT, he should have been man enough to go ahead with the deal. esp, since it was no fault of yours.shame that theirs people like that out there....good day doc.
Old June 18, 2010, 11:38 AM   #30
Doc Hoy

Starbucks et al.,

Thanks for the support Starbucks.

Here is a little gratification.

I posted the following to GB:

"As you can tell by examining the auction listing I was the high bidder on this no-reserve auction. When I contacted the seller, he informed me that he did not intend to accept payment or to mail the item since my winning bid was not high enough. He stated that he had changed the wording of the auction after the item had received a bid which in his mind, changed the parameters of the auction and gave him the option to decline to complete the auction. He subsequently relisted the item under listing 173190960. I monitored this new listing continuously finding that the bid had gone up to 45.00 but that the reserve price had not been met. I now see that the auction was completed successfully at 45.00 which is an indication that the seller reduced the reserve price to complete the sale. The seller's refusal to complete the auction in which I won this item is a clear violation of GB policy."

This was the reply from GB with 24 hours:

"Yes it is. We will address the issue with the seller and you have already posted appropriate feedback for the seller regarding his failure to complete the transaction. He will not be able to post feedback for you."

Okay Okay, GB is not so bad.

Tnx,
Old June 18, 2010, 11:53 AM   #31
ClemBert

Good for you Doc!

Thanks to people like you we can all feel more comfortable using services like GunBroker to conduct legitimate and honest business. Kudos to you!
Old June 18, 2010, 01:27 PM   #32
Doc Hoy

Roger...Out

Thanks Clem,

I don't mind telling you I was releaved to learn that they had blocked any opportunity for the seller to log negative feedback.
Old June 18, 2010, 01:53 PM   #33
denster

Way to go Doc. Never take stuff like that laying down.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:03 PM   #34
w_houle

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sel...px?User=817794
Looks like he doesn't have anything for sale
I wonder how long it will be before he is selling stuff again or has a new account.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:16 PM   #35
JNewell

Well done, Doc.

I have been burned several times at the big auction site, both as buyer and seller, and never gotten ANY action AT ALL from them. :barf:
Old June 18, 2010, 07:17 PM   #36
arcticap

I've heard eBay doesn't take much of any action to punish winning bidders who don't pay.
And they also take a very long time to refund the auction fees when those winning bidders don't pay.
Someone did that to my son and that person is still bidding on eBay today.
Also according to my son, negative or neutral feedback has not been allowed to be posted by eBay sellers for a long time now.

Last edited by arcticap; June 18, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old June 19, 2010, 04:32 AM   #37
Doc Hoy

I pinch my nose

I started as a member of eBay quite a while ago. In the time I have been bidding and selling, I have seen the site change from a one which attracts mostly individual sellers and folks who are genuinely looking for deals, to one which is so highly commercialized that it is more like a visit to Walmart. I am very careful how I used the service now.

I think the marketing environment for Gunbroker is very much like eBay only on a smaller, narrower and more restricted scope.

I wonder if people who go to Gunbroker if eBay permitted the sale of firearms.

BTW, Cap, Your son is correct. The options for sellers are a) Positive Feedback and b) Leave Feedback Later. The site does not prompt feedback until there is a record of the winning bidder paying for the item. Of course once that happens, positive feedback is appropriate. Perhaps if the auction goes unpaid, the seller can give the buyer negative feedback. Your son would know that better than me since he was the victim.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; June 19, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old June 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #38
Dr. Strangelove

I have just about quit using auction sites because of experiences like these. Too many times the seller, seeing his items going for less than he wants, ends the auction, even after accepting bids. "Item is for sale locally" should not be allowed, its simply a way to end an auction if the seller isn't getting the price he wants.
Old June 20, 2010, 04:20 PM   #39
Hardy

It's hard to not pass up things on internet that you want. But unfortunately you don't have it in your hand when you buy it. If it ain't right then you send it back if you can--HASSELL. We buy guns and send 1/3 back because they are not up to par. The ones on display are marked up just slightly but they are there for people to see and hold before they purchase. I'm glad I didn't quit my day job to retail these. "The Smokin' Gun" Spartanburg,SC
Old June 20, 2010, 08:02 PM   #40
James K
Member In Memoriam

Definition trap?

Is it possible there is a definition trap here? Folks get so used to describing repros as the original model that it can be a problem. A Italian repro is NOT a "Colt 1851 Navy" and original Colt parts are not available from Dixie. What exactly was he selling? If they were repro parts from an unidentified maker, I doubt they would properly fit another maker's gun or even another gun by the same maker.

If they were original Colt parts, then they should have been worth a lot more than the mentioned prices.

Just my $.02.

Jim
Old June 21, 2010, 02:20 AM   #41
Doc Hoy

Jim

Good point. And worth the comment....Thanks.

These were clone parts.

The problem with fit and the obviously used condition as judged from the photo are what prevented me from going over 22.00.

The guy who finally bought them for 45.00 saw something in them that I didn't see.
Old June 21, 2010, 04:20 AM   #42
Hawg

Most parts interchange within same brands except for grips. Some fitting may be required to install on different brands.
Old June 21, 2010, 06:55 PM   #43
herb

Doc..... you're a lot like me. Treat me fair and I'm a pussycat.... treat me bad and the pit bull gene's rise to the surface. glad you gave this guy both barrels.
Old June 21, 2010, 07:12 PM   #44
Doc Hoy

Would you believe....

....Today I get an email claiming he was in the right....

He just doesn't get it.

I noticed he got another feedback which was less than perfect. Maybe he is in the wrong line.
Old July 2, 2010, 09:06 AM   #45
andrewstorm

chissilers

I to had a bad experiance on gun broker,motorcity pawn changed the auction 3 times ,discription, reserve, and had several different adds for the ss roa on g .b.:barf: i went inn in person and the man became very nervous,and said he wasnt to blame ,that g.b. had changed the auction:barf:yeah right