The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 20, 2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Mawetta

Mini-14 for Glock, Need Advice

I am desperately trying to get a Glock 31, Money is extremely tight and the Mini,although extremely bad ass, is the only thing of value I have to help me reach my goal. My dad got it for duty, but he doesn't like it. So i pretty much am the caretaker now.

My question is will a gun shop be interested in buying or trading. How much extra cash will i need to score the G31 if a trade is accepted? There isn't too many places around my area. Pawn shops have more guns than the gun shops. Could i pawn this?

Collapsible Stock, SS barrel, Adjustable flip up rear sight, Scope mounts built in.

Pictures:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mawetta; June 20, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
DnPRK

Not rare -- a common skinny barrel stainless ranch rifle in a Ramline stock. A generous dealer would probably give you $200 for it.

I'd keep the Mini-14 and eat peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen to save up for the Glock. I've got 3 Glocks and they aren't magic. Their triggers are similar to those found on a staple gun.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Mawetta

Ok cool , lol!
Old June 20, 2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Drummer101

I would try a private sale first.

$200 and I am tempted lol.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
zombieslayer

I agree with above- just keep it and collect aluminum cans and scrap metal! Unless you find an indiviodual willing to give you a good price, just wait a bit. I haven't gotten rid of many guns, but the few that I have sold or traded, I mostly regret. It wouldn't hurt to post a "trade for..." Ad in the for sale section. Just my 2cents
Old June 20, 2010, 10:12 PM   #6
mdd

Second job equals a glock in two paychecks. Check out www.summitgunbroker.com also for good prices on used glocks too.
Old June 20, 2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Mawetta

How does shipping work with this, I can't picture walking into the post office; waving around a rifle to be a pleasant shipping experience?
Old June 20, 2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Carryabigstick

Try to sell private party. You can sell for enough and you probably will only be short $100.
Old June 20, 2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Mawetta

I don't know how to sell privately, I need to know how the shipping works.

Once I get some feedback on how to ship firearms i will try putting it on Gun broker ?
Old June 20, 2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Mawetta

Quote:
Second job equals a glock in two paychecks.
I didn't even get hired at McDonalds when i applied. I am forced to do Odd Jobs and try to run my business in photography for money. I have an LLC and a few clients with my business, but it is tough.

I applied everywhere for even just a min wage job with no luck. My Resume is pretty good to.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:33 AM   #11
Ignition Override

You might also get lots of current market trends on "Perfectunion".
They mostly specialize in Mini 14s, 30s and 6.8 caliber.

You are burning extra money away if you walk into a pawn shop with it, and will regret it later, unless in truly 'dire straits' for critical cash.
I've heard the b.s. from Some pawn shop staff at gun shows. Some utter meaningless abstractions and double-talk, like most politicians.......

My old ('90!) Mini 14 never had a single FTF in over 1,200 rds., using only Russian ammo, which has harder primers than US-made ammo.
It works better than a buddy's WASR AK clone.

A prospective buyer should realize that a 20-rd. Ruger-built mag (not just "xyz factory mag") has been available for Mini 14s since just after the Obama election (strange timing?).
And also now for the Mini 30, which is truly unbelievable.

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 21, 2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:33 AM   #12
stevedscross

Sorry to tell you this but you are better of keeping the mini. For one gunfights are won by the person with the gun, and a rifle is many times better than a pistol, ANY PISTOL! I understand you wanting a handgun though as few things will comfort like a handgun will. But you should ask yourself if it is worth it. Just my opinion.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:15 AM   #13
dean1818

Sell it on Gunbroker...... very easy
Old June 21, 2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Mawetta

How does shipping work for firearms ? someone answer plz! ?
Old June 21, 2010, 08:02 AM   #15
thesheepdog

You could probably whip out a trade for a Glock. Maybe not. It depends on how much they "value" it at, and whether or not they can sell it in their store.
Old June 21, 2010, 08:10 AM   #16
SR420

Why on earth do you want the .357 SIG G31?

Get the 17, 19 or step up to the 21.
An assortment of proven ammunition is readily available for the 9mm & 45 AUTO.
Old June 21, 2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Mawetta

I want more power than the 9, more accuracy than .45, I'm hoping to use it for hunting next year, as my sidearm against wild bobcats, feral pigs etc..
Old June 21, 2010, 08:18 AM   #18
longranger

You can as an private individual ship the rifle to a FFL holder via any of the major carriers,i.e. UPS,USPS and Fed Ex.(provided no local laws prohibit)The FFL dealer should be contacted and make sure he will accept a firearm from a non FFL holder.Some FFL dealers will not accept from an individual and only from another FFL holder,then you will have to have your local FFL folks ship for you at a cost.
You must declare to the shipper that you are shipping a firearm,do not write anything on the box indicating their is a firearm in the box.Longrifles are easier and sometimes cheaper than handguns which must ship second day air.
Just know that you cannot ship any firearm except black powder firearms to an individual that does not have a FFL license.Wherever you send the rifle be sure you have/keep a copy of the current valid FFL license holders license.
Face to face in state sales from 2 non FFL holders is legal in most states without filing a 4473 Federal form.If 1 of the parties hold a FFL license then paperwork is required.
All bets are off if shipping to California,lots of hoops to jump there.
Old June 21, 2010, 08:18 AM   #19
rduckwor

Quote:
How does shipping work for firearms ? someone answer plz! ?
As I recall, from HANDGUN shipping experience:

You as a non-FFL cannot ship thru the USPS; only FFL holders can do that. You can take the gun to an FFL and have them ship it for a fee.

You can ship thru common carriers (UPS and FedEx) but it must be overnite and must go to a receiving FFL.

Best bet, take the gun to an FFL that is trustworthy and and cheap in shipping costs.
Old June 21, 2010, 08:25 AM   #20
SR420

Quote:
Mawetta I want more power than the 9, more accuracy than .45...
Try before you buy... the G21 is probably the easiest to shoot and most accurate Glock made.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:03 AM   #21
Mawetta

The .45 doesn't seem as streamlined as the Sig bullet, also it is higher grain, which leaves me to believe the trajectory will fall short. The Sig seems that it would reach alot further and be better for wild cats, with more velocity?
Old June 21, 2010, 09:09 AM   #22
Mawetta

Thanks Rduk and Longranger , I've found the shipping guidlines listed on GunBroker

Here it is if anyone else needs shipping info

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...1118&NoCount=1
Old June 21, 2010, 09:16 AM   #23
ISC

rifles can be shipped by USPS or UPS without an FFL. Most UPS store branches will tell you to take it to their hub to ship, so I definately reccomend USPS. Shipping usually runs about $10 plus insurance.

I take a large cardboard box andcut out a big square large enough to wrap around the gun, making a box. I bend the corners on my table top to get a crisp edge and put a piece of packing tape down the seam to make a square tube.

Next, I make 2 U shaped pieces out of a double thickness of cardboard to put on the ends. I throw some newspaper at the end, wrap the gun in bubble wrap or something similar, put some more nespaper on the other end then tape the end caps in place.

I'm a big believer iin extra tape so I double tape the seam and end caps.

I make a label by cutting and pasting the address from the confirmation email then in creasing it's size to a big font (at least 36 point, that's one inch high) to make sure there isn't any problems with legibility or miscopying it.

I tape the labels (return address too) to the box, completely covering the labels with clear tape to protect them. Then I walk into the post office and mail it out.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:16 AM   #24
oneounceload

Selling it to a gun shop will get maybe 60% of what it's worth (they need to turn a profit on it), trading it, they might give you 10% more. Going to a pawn shop won't get you much better, PLUS you'll have interest to pay to get it back.

After researching it on various auction sites by looking at closed auctions, you'll be able to determine a fair-market value for it. Then sell it face to face to gain the most from the proceeds.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:38 AM   #25
Mawetta

Here's my auction guys, Thanks for the help!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=175410298