The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 14, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Uzi4u2

What are the most reliable sub compact semiauto?

I am looking for a sub compact semi auto in a .32, .38, or 9mm. Who make them? What is model number and is it affordable? How many rounds in the magazine? What type of construction (milled or cast)? Is it a new product or old? How accurate and most important how small?
Old June 14, 2010, 05:32 PM   #2
DonutGuy

Look up the specs on a Glock 26
Old June 14, 2010, 05:37 PM   #3
kodiakbeer

If by sub-compact you mean a pocket pistol, then you want something in a locked breech system - Colt Mustang or Sig P238. Fixed barrel blowback pistols are not as reliable (and generate considerably more recoil) than a locked breech.

If you're talking about something larger, then there are lots of pistols out there.
Old June 14, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4
N.H. Yankee

I carry a Springfield Xd subcompact 9mm and have family and friends that carry the same gun in 40 cal and all have been very happy with the performance of the weapon. Very accurate and reliable, but not a pocket pistol. Subcompacts are usually meant as guns carried CC in a holster, as many pocket size guns are referred to as mouse guns.
Old June 14, 2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Gary L. Griffiths

I would have to say the Kel-Tec P-32 in .32 ACP (7 rd mag) or the slightly larger and heavier Ruger LCP in .380 ACP (6 rd mag).

The smallest and lightest 9mm you'll find is the Kel-Tec PF-9 (7 rd mag) unless you have a VERY large budget for the Rohrbaugh.

I currently own all three of these, and am very happy with all of them.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old June 14, 2010, 07:46 PM   #6
jon_in_wv

In my opinion the creme de la creme of subcompact carry guns are (not in order) the G26, the M&P 9C, and the XD . I suggest you find a way to get a little range time with all three and choose whichever suits you best. Personally I think the accuracy, capacity, shootability, ease of carry, and the reliability of these three are just too hard to beat.
Old June 14, 2010, 07:52 PM   #7
jreXD9

small guns I've had in the past year.....Bersa .380, Para Nighthawg .45, Taurus .38 Ultra Lite, Sig P238, XD9sc, xd45c (ok, not too small). Since I carry almost all day weight and width are a big issue IMO. I've settled on the PM9 and CW45 for all day carry. Even the xd9sc got a little aggravating after a few hours on the right hip. The Kahrs carry very well and mine have proven to be dependable and accurate.
Old June 14, 2010, 08:05 PM   #8
psyshack

I have a PF-9 and shoot the crap out of it. I stopped counting rounds after 5k in two plus months. Many complain about ammo, feed issues and such. All most all of it can be traced back to wussy boy shooting. It's a 9mm thats light thin and easy to conceal very deep.

How she is today.
Old June 14, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9
COSteve

Hands down the Glocks are the most reliable and dependable pistols you can buy.

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai 1984
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert 2009
Old June 14, 2010, 08:46 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

My input; 9x19mm sub compact semi auto pistol...

For your posted uses, I'd suggest the Glock 26 sub compact 9mm with 3 dot steel night sights & a NY-1 trigger.
The Glock 26 pistol has made a solid reputation for hard use, marksmanship & great feeding-cycle action.
Credit should be given to the great HK P2000sk LEM model or the sub compact SIG Sauer DAK/SAS-2 P239 but the Glock 26 9mm is used more.

Id take a good look at the .357sig for CC-protection too. It feeds & works like a 9mm but has more power.
Old June 14, 2010, 08:50 PM   #11
orionengnr

Quote:
The smallest and lightest 9mm you'll find is the Kel-Tec PF-9 (7 rd mag) unless you have a VERY large budget for the Rohrbaugh.
Someone has not done his homework.
Look into the Kahr PM9.
Quote:
I have a PF-9 and shoot the crap out of it. I stopped counting rounds after 5k in two plus months. Many complain about ammo, feed issues and such. All most all of it can be traced back to wussy boy shooting.
Wow. The K-T fanboys are thick tonight.
A lot of it can be traced to basic Kel-Tec POS-ness. Those of us who have owned more than a few pistols and have been shooting for more than a few years have some stories to tell. I've had four Kel-Tecs and all four gave me trouble (do a search on my username and "Kel-Tec". You will find the rest of the story.

There will be no more K-Ts on my hip or in my safe.

Quote:
I am looking for a sub compact semi auto in a .32, .38, or 9mm.
I am assuming you mean .380. As such, (and again after owning three Kel-Tecs), I cannot recommend the P-32 (I've owned one) or the P3AT (I've owned two).

The LCP, yeah, I can recommend that (I've owned two). The Kahr PM9, hell yeah, I have owned one for four years, carried it for three, and put a lot of rounds through it.

I've owned several Glocks (and XDs) as well...what they call a "sub-compact" is actually a compact by virtue of it's width and weight.

I no longer own a double-stack of any type--too fat to conceal easily. Yes, it's nice to have an extra 5-7 rounds. It's much nicer to be able to conceal a single stack pistol and it is easy to conceal a spare mag.

Last edited by orionengnr; June 14, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old June 14, 2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Uzi4u2

Guys I am talking about a handgun that looks more like a lighter than a real gun. Besides a Seecamp what else is out there?
Old June 14, 2010, 08:53 PM   #13
hawk727

Glock 26 or Kahr MK9
Old June 14, 2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I am looking for a sub compact semi auto in a .32, .38, or 9mm.
Quote:
I am assuming you mean .380. As such, (and again after owning three Kel-Tecs), I cannot recommend the P-32 (I've owned one) or the P3AT (I've owned two).
But if you did mean 38 as in 38Spcl ther is the Ruger LCR. MSRP around $500, but I've seen them for around $450.
Nobody has mentioned prices you asked for but you will find most CC handguns run from the under $300 Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT to around $500 for the Glocks and Springfields. Higher prices for some of the really top end firearms.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 14, 2010, 10:31 PM   #15
zombieslayer

Just my experience, but for a thin, lightweight pocket gun with decent capacity, try a KelTec P32. For a pocket gun with a bit more punch and a bit less capacity, a Ruger LCP (also good for IWB). The best CCW gun I've ever come across is the Walther PPS. Its amazingly accurate, and feels and shoots like a fullsize handgun for me. Its got a great build quality and while not quite small enough to carry in a pocket, its small, thin and light and for all day comfort its hard to beat. Jus my 2cents
Old June 14, 2010, 10:31 PM   #16
MartinR

IMHO, very small semi-auto's compromise some reliability for concealability.

That being said, I've carried an NAA Guardian in .32ACP for years. (It's very similar to a Seecamp).
Old June 15, 2010, 06:56 AM   #17
WVleo

I have carried My PM9 since 1-09 and it's proven both reliable and accurate for Me. It's My EDC stuffed with Speer Gold Dots 124.gr+P . It could fit in a pocket i guess and I even have a Nemesis holster for it , but I carry IWB so thin and light was what I was looking for ................WVleo
Old June 15, 2010, 07:29 AM   #18
oneounceload

Quote:
Guys I am talking about a handgun that looks more like a lighter than a real gun. Besides a Seecamp what else is out there?
Here's a list with specs and dimensions:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
Old June 15, 2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
Someone has not done his homework.
Look into the Kahr PM9.
Err, no. You need to do more homework yourself, instead of relying on Kahr's inaccurate specs.

The Kahr is 5.6" X 4.3" X 1.1" according to Bobo's pocket auto comparison chart. Holds one less round, and weighs more than the PF-9.

Yes, the K-Ts have some issues, but so do Kahrs. The PM-45 I bought was poorly machined, had dozens of metal shavings, some pinhead-sized inside it from manufacturing, and wouldn't feed a full magazine, even with ball ammo. A trip back to Kahr improved the feeding problem, but not to the point I considered it reliable enough to carry. I traded it for a Ruger LCP and a Kel-Tec PF-9, both of which were, IMHO, better quality weapons than the Kahr.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old June 15, 2010, 10:31 AM   #20
Nevertoomanyguns

I don't know about the best or the most reliable gun of all? but my Glock 27 has been 100% reliable and very easy to ccw!
Old June 15, 2010, 10:32 AM   #21
Deputy Dog

The right in the pant holster and a Glock 26 and your golden.

DD
Old June 15, 2010, 10:34 AM   #22
LordTio3

Quote:
I traded it for a Ruger LCP and a Kel-Tec PF-9, both of which were, IMHO, better quality weapons than the Kahr.
While I don't necessarily agree wholeheartedly with this assessment, I do tend to agree with Gary here. I do not believe that on average, LCR's and KT sub compacts are better quality weapons that Kahr's PM series.
HOWEVER-
I do believe without a shadow of a doubt that they have substantially higher VALUE. To clarify, you get much more gun for your money. Like Gary said, he traded one sub compact .45 for a subcompact 9mm and one subcompact .380 straight up. Both of these weapons have great track records and are quite reliable, but really, he probably got cheated on the price (he should have gotten at least $50 cash for the trade as well, along with the 2 guns).
I'd rather spend less than half of the money for a Kahr arm and get either a Kel-Tec post recall, or a new LCP that I can carry on me everyday and not have to worry about. They are both hi-quality hi-value weapons, whereas I personally believe that Kahr only got the Hi-quality part right.

~LT
Old June 15, 2010, 10:39 AM   #23
LordTio3

@Uzi4u2:

I believe you should consider a Glock 27 as your sub-compact pistol. You can get one used, and there are usually always trade-ins available from police if you don't mind a little holster wear.
www.summitgunbroker.com is a great site to check just for this.

A little ways down the road, if you feel like you want to start shooting another caliber, just spend a little over $100 and buy a lone-wolf 9mm barrel for your Glock 27. Get a Glock 26/19/17/18 9mm magazine and you have yourself a 9mm pistol. Or spend the same amount and grab a .357 sig barrel and some Glock 31/32/33 magazines, and you have yourself a .357 sig Glock. It will be an investment and the weapon is versatile enough to last you the rest of your life, while never allowing you to get bored with it.

Just my .02 cents.
~LT
Old June 15, 2010, 09:19 PM   #24
RickE

Interesting... only a small number of the above posts know what a SUB compact is, or they are so in love with their compacts, they do not really pay attention to the original posting.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:18 PM   #25
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
only a small number of the above posts know what a SUB compact is
Agreed. Quite possibly because manufacturers keep advertising their cut-down full-sized autos as "sub-compacts." I mean, a sub-compact .45 ACP? Come ON!

I think what the OP is wanting is information on the NAA type weapons, of which the Kel-Tec and Ruger .380s would be the largest in the class.