The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2000, 12:02 PM   #1
jtduncan

Does anybody have any good carbine reloading recipes?

I was at the Seattle Police Range outdoors yesterday shooting my Kel Tec Sub-9 carbine at 25 and 50 yards. It's got a 16.5" barrel but I don't know the twist ratio.

I was using some light target loads at the bottom or suggested starting points for Universal, TiteGroup, and W231 powders and some Montana Gold 115 JHPs and FMJs.

At 25 yards, a 2" grouping was easy to accomplish.

But at 50 yards I was shooting a palm-sized group that was pretty spread out. My HKP7 shot .5" groups at 25 yards with all of the bullets.

In addition to operator error or bad riflemanship, would a slower powder like Power Pistol or VV350? produce a flatter more accurate 115 grain JHP bullet?

Or would another bullet like a Rainier or another weight like 124 grains be another thing to try?

I'll work on rifle shooting mechanics but usually could nail a 2" group out to 50 yards with AR-15s and the like.

Help?