The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Bob6234

Smith And Wesson 22A with Red Dot Sights.

I own a S&W 22A and am pleased with the pistol. I am considering adding Red Dot Sights to the existing rail, but with the limited number of grooves (4)
I am not sure what type or manufacturer to buy. I do not want to go to the expense of milling additional grooves. Has anyone added red dot or Holographic sights and if so, what manufacturer and what were the problems encountered?
Old May 15, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

If you go with a RedDot, that has separate rings, you should not have a problems. With integral clamp, you may. Many of the panaramics have one cross clamping screw so again, you should be okay with one of these. Just take a good look at what you are interested in and work from there. I'm absolutely sure, that you will find what you are looking for and at a reasonable price. Oh yes, welcome aboard.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 15, 2010, 07:24 PM   #3
oldgranpa

don't know if this will help you, but I put a SightMark holograf reddot on mine. I had to position it so the rear claw grips an open slot in the rail and the front claw just grips the edge of the rail. So far it works fine for me. Already posted pic so you have to go to this thread to see the picture....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401811
Old May 15, 2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Microgunner

If your sight choice has intregral mounts make sure they will fit a Weaver base. Picatinny mounts will not fit your pistol. Some red dots have adjustable mounts that will fit both.