The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 19, 2010, 05:58 AM   #26
B.L.E.

Quote:
Yeah but you cant buy just one or two for those prices. The closest place for me to get real bp is 132 miles one way. If I was already going that way would be ok but I never go there.
I would call that a good excuse for a motorcycle ride, 'specially if there happened to be a good barbecue joint along the way.
Old April 19, 2010, 06:50 AM   #27
mykeal

Quote:
Nothing that used to be made in Pennsylvania and is no longer made there is as good as it used to be.
Now THAT'S a deep philosophical question!
Old April 19, 2010, 07:30 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

To Mykeal

Yes...I was waiting for that comment to explode. I was assuming it would happen among those in the Kentucky contingent.

I was born and raised in PA and now live in Virginia and everyone knows I am not as good as I used to be.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old April 23, 2010, 10:44 PM   #29
TXGunNut

Wow! Just checked in @ Track of the Wolf, powder prices have gone up. Still cheaper than smokeless if I'm figuring correctly. BPCR's go thru a lot of powder. A friend ordered a case from them awhile back, guess this time it's my turn.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 24, 2010, 04:28 AM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
I would call that a good excuse for a motorcycle ride, 'specially if there happened to be a good barbecue joint along the way.
Well if I still had my Harley.
Old April 24, 2010, 06:25 AM   #31
mykeal

One never owns a Harley. It owns you.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:51 AM   #32
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunNut
Still cheaper than smokeless if I'm figuring correctly.
You may not be figuring correctly. I kind of thought the same thing before I really thought about it and did the math. Here's the rough math for 45 Colt loads:

~5.7 cents for 30 grains of FFFg GOEX

~2.6 cents for 8 grains of Alliant Unique smokeless

You have to recall that in general fewer grains of smokeless powder are used versus holy black for the same punch. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by ClemBert; April 24, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old April 24, 2010, 09:02 AM   #33
Jbar4Ranch

I shoot thousands of rounds of black powder every year, both cartridge and C&B, and prefer black to Pyrodex. In my experience, Pyrodex is, hands down, the most hygroscopic of all the black powders and substitutes I've used. I don't use it unless it's a screaming deal, like a seasonal closeout @ $5.00/pound or somesuch, and then usually only in shotshells.
I order 25 pound lots of BP from powderinc - a few pounds of Swiss 1 1/2, a few pounds of Goex CTG, and the rest KIK. I'll probably order a case of Diamondback soon to try out in shotshells.

SASS 47015
Old April 24, 2010, 10:14 AM   #34
Doc Hoy

Hawg...we are in this together

I am another one who USED TO have a Harley.

And Yes, Mykeal, they owned me. I am well aware the H.D. actually stands for Hundred Dollars which is the minimum you can spend at a time.

Tnx,

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old April 24, 2010, 03:55 PM   #35
Hawg

Quote:
I am well aware the H.D. actually stands for Hundred Dollars which is the minimum you can spend at a time.
What did you do buy a tail light bulb?
Old April 24, 2010, 05:30 PM   #36
B.L.E.

Quote:
Wow! Just checked in @ Track of the Wolf, powder prices have gone up. Still cheaper than smokeless if I'm figuring correctly. BPCR's go thru a lot of powder. A friend ordered a case from them awhile back, guess this time it's my turn.
I just bought 3 pounds a couple of weeks ago and also got sticker shock. Goex costs as much as Swiss used to now. It seems like the price difference between Swiss and the others is narrowing however.
Also, percussion caps are now over $4/100