The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
ghh3rd

Most reliable sub-compact SA/DA?

What is considered to be the most reliable small (sub-compact) SA/DA pistol out there, other than a 9mm?

I've got a Glock 27 that I carry in a Crossbreed holster, but I still am not entirely comfortable carrying it in condition one. However, I do feel 100% comfortable that the Glock will fire every time I pull the trigger.

Thanks
Old April 6, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Tacoma

If you substitute "handgun" for "pistol" then the answer is undeniably a S&W J frame revolver. Pull the trigger and it goes "BANG". Every time.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:49 PM   #3
TriumphGuy

There's not many that fit into the "sub-compact" category that are DA/SA. A lot more internal workings for a hammer fired gun as opposed to a striker. The only one I can think of in the category would be a Para Slim Hawg or whatever they call those things. Not sure if they're DAO or DA/SA. I usually define a sub-compact as 3" or shorter barrel and an extra short grip, but there's no real standard. Move up to a "compact," which is usually a full length grip with a 4-ish" barrel and you'll find plenty.
Old April 6, 2010, 05:57 PM   #4
azredhawk44

Smith and Wesson has some single stack DA/SA gen 3 autoloaders. Some are called "Chief's Specials" and some are called "Lady Smiths."

Not certain I'd call them sub-compact, though. Closer to compact. The slide height it too high for my taste. The current offerings are the 908 and 908S. I think these are DAO. 8+1 capacity.

CZ makes the 2075 RAMI. That's DA/SA. Smaller than the Smith. Higher capacity, too. 10+1, and compatible with larger format mags from CZ.

ETA: Sorry, you said .40, not 9mm.

Smith's offering is the 4013TSW. It holds 9+1 and is bigger than the 908's I mentioned.

CZ still makes a .40 RAMI. It's 7+1 capacity and compatible with larger format CZ magazines.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Ace_Breaker

The Rami had some pretty well known issues with the .40 version. I believe it was mostly magazine related. I had a 9mm and it would not function properly. Constant feeding issues. CZ attempted to fix the problem and it didn't. On the second round they wanted me to pay shipping so they could look at it. I gave up on it. It was too big for a sub compact for me anyways.

Right now I've settled on the Walther PPS in .40 as my main CCW. It's not DA/SA though. It's an awesome little performer. This after owning a Glock 27, 30, and 36. The Glocks are awesome, just too thick for CCW compared to the PPS.

Been down the Kahr road, won't go there again. Completely unreliable in the model I had. The same thing for Taurus.

My back up to the Walther is an Hk P7, which I believe to be one of the finest handguns ever made. How often do you read anything bad about this handgun?

Good luck on your search.
Old April 6, 2010, 08:14 PM   #6
KyJim

The SW third generation single stack pistols are SA/DA and are very reliable. The Chiefs Special was chambered in .45 acp (and 9mm). I also think there were some slightly larger -- 4013 and 4513, but I haven't seen these and don't know if they were very common.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 7, 2010, 06:40 PM   #7
lambertsteeth

Sig's compact is the 239. Great guns. It is bigger than what most people consider a subcompact. They are, however quite concealable, and extremely reliable. I had a smith 4013 for awhile. I still miss that gun, and ofter look for another one at a good price.