The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 29, 2010, 08:48 AM   #1
greyson97

How to adjust a Marlin 39a sight

I finally took my marlin 39a out to the range. Its pretty fun. But as of right now, i like my CZ452 FS better

cut to the chase, my marlin, from a rest, is shooting to the right 3-5" at 25 yards. how do i adjust the back sight? the buckhorn is like swinging arm on a platform, but it doesnt swing, obviously. I dont want to break my new gun.

or do you recommend me get a peep right? are they easy to install? do i just unscrew the 2 screws on the top of the receiver and then screw them in?

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 29, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Pahoo

To impact left, drift rear sight to the left. Just how much is your measure but go slow. Mark your starting point with a lead pencil or whatever is removable.

The peep sight is a personal option and yes, they work better than the open sights although I have a fondness for the Buckhorns. Yes, they make a ghost ring type peep sight that mounts on the screw holes on top of your reciever. Would no recommend a drilling and tapping for other peep sights. Do a search on this subject, in this forum. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old March 29, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

A little more info:

Use a brass or nylon drift and a small hammer to gently tap the rear sight over in the direction you want to move the group.
The sight leaf is designed to move in the dovetail without much force. Tap against the dovetail part, NOT the rear of the sight.

Peep sights on the Marlin 39-A are great.
Mounting depends on the age of the rifle.
All versions made since the late 40's up to the 1990's are drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for a peep sight.

Newer rifles are drilled on top for either a scope mount or a special peep that mounts on top of the receiver instead of the left side.

There are several good receiver sights available from Lyman and Williams. The Williams comes in an version in which gib screws are loosened, the sight is moved, then the screws are tightened, and a version that has micrometer "click" adjustments.
The Lyman also has "click" adjustments.

Here's my 1950 Marlin 39-A with the Williams 5D sight: