The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1
jersey_emt

SIG Sauer P6 broken trigger bar spring, where to get replacement?

I was shooting my SIG Sauer P6 (P225) at the range this weekend and the trigger suddenly felt like it was disconnected. At home I field stripped the gun and found nothing visibly wrong. The hammer still cocks, the decocker still works, and the slide stop also works fine.

I took off the grip panels and found a broken piece under the right grip. I identified it in the manual as the trigger bar spring. It's broken into 2 pieces.

I bought the gun (used, obviously) in September 2009 and have put approximately 1,000 rounds through it with no issues. I do not know its level of use prior to purchase, but the gun is in excellent condition with just a little bit of holster wear. This makes sense as it was a police-issue pistol in West Germany in the 1980's. The rifling in the barrel is in great shape, as are all the parts visible with the gun field stripped and the grip panels removed, which would lead me to believe that it was carried often but not extensively fired.

Where can I get a replacement trigger bar spring? Does SIG Sauer sell them? Is there a retailer where it would be cheaper?

Also, while I'm replacing the spring is there any other parts that should be replaced, or any other preventative maintenance that should be done?

Thanks for your help.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old March 28, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
CortJestir

Try here:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-trig...p220_p225.html
Old March 29, 2010, 04:10 PM   #3
jersey_emt

Awesome, thank you. That's crazy though that a $4 part costs $10 to ship.

I found this 'parts kit' on that site: http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p225-9mm_parts-kit.html

It has:

Recoil Spring
Trigger Bar Spring
Slide Catch Lever Spring
Decocking Lever Spring
Outer Roll Pin
Inner Roll Pin
(4) Grip Screws
(4) Grip Screw Washers

Would it be a good idea to get that, and replace all the springs for preventative maintenance? As in, if the trigger bar spring has been worn out enough to break, are other parts or springs likely to break in the near future?

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old March 29, 2010, 04:49 PM   #4
CortJestir

Yep, I've got two of those spring kits. I don't carry my P6 so I just replace things as they need to get replaced. I probably should replace everything just for good measure though - I'm just too lazy! If your's is used for CCW, I'd recommend replacing all the springs and/or taking it to a pro gunsmith for a once-over...
Old March 29, 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
AK103K

I got a couple of the kits as well and replaced the springs. I didnt need the grip screws and I didnt feel the need to swap out the roll pins, but I suppose they are handy to have.

If your P6's DA trigger pull was anything like the two of mine, you might want to add a P225 mainspring to the order. It will give you a lighter DA trigger pull that is more in line with the commercial SIG's.

TGS also sells an armorers CD for about $20. Its worth more than you pay for it, and will walk you through a total tear down and reassembly and has a specific section on replacing the mainspring as well.