The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2010, 12:36 AM   #26
Jim243

You are not the only one, but at the time 20 bucks was better than spending $55.00, I guess you have live and learn, purchased the Hornady (actually a Pacific M) not sold any more and I really liked it. Then went on a couple of years later and bought the RCBS 1500 despenser scale combo, that you couldn't pry out of my hands even with a crowbar. Just was looking at the sonic cleaner by Hornady (new product) and saw they have a scale & despenser that looks like the RCBS 1500 but is a hundred bucks cheaper on Midway USA.

Jim

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=818489
Old March 29, 2010, 03:26 AM   #27
Lost Sheep

A set of powder scoops is an option.

The thread has wandered off to focus on scales for a little while, so I will chime in with three observations I have gleaned from my travels.

There is a considerable body of evidence in support of volumetric measuring of powder charges.

There is a recent thread on TFL that discusses the consistency of one particular powder thrower, started by Squareknot, entitled "Redding powder dump experiment"
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404423

I have found in my experience that the plastic powder scoops are more consistent than Squareknot's reported experience.

Now, I do use Lee's Autodisk on my progressive presses (solely because of the convenience), but when working on the single stage, the scoops take barely more time than a powder thrower and they constitutionally incapable of going out of adjustment, and a whole lot cheaper. So, scoops are my preference.

The scoops never varied in their throw weight, even in charge weights as small as 3.3 grains of flake powder. My thrower did. In fairness, small charges meant a pretty shallow cavity in the thrower, which put it at a disadvantage against the scoops. If I were throwing 40 grains at a time, the deviations would have smaller on a percentage basis. But I do not use powder charges that large, so a powder thrower is not usually my choice for most accurate loads.

Lost Sheep