The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2009, 10:13 PM   #26
williamd

Taken a few. They die easily. Never knew I needed a backup. Carried slugs when bird hunting in bear country ... actually took a deer once when pheasant hunting in B.C. ... so another reason for slugs. Bird shot of any size will just **** [ok! tick] a bear off.

As an old timer told me ... "You will never lose a gut shot bear!"

Think about it.

When you skin one out see if it reminds you of your uncle Wally!!?? Very human like.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:52 PM   #27
alaskaman94

y the heck do you need back up on a blacky at 40 yards with a 45-70. iv killed and seen lots of bears killed with muchmuch less gun. i shoot um with a 40# bow and the farthest ones ever went was 20 yards. when with my 45-70 the farthest was about 3 foot- strait down. and im talkin 6.5 foot ak bears. just relax and make a good shot in the first place. and to anser your Q. i alternate slugs and OO buck in my pistolgrip 12. idk y thats just how my dad did it and taught me 2. seems 2 work ok

cant help but brag a lil...im the kid in the 1st 2 and takin the 3rd pic of our camp after 3 nites of hunting this spring

Last edited by alaskaman94; October 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:04 AM   #28
therealtwitch

if I had to use a shotgun against a bear I would one of the following 2 with my prefrance being the latter.

Brenekke black magic (3" 1500fps of mollywopp)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/37896-5.html

remingtion accu tip bonded sabot slug (i would use the 3" 385gr. 1900fps variety myself)

http://www.remington.com/products/am...sabot_slug.asp
Old October 17, 2009, 12:21 AM   #29
T. O'Heir

You have a repeating .45-70. You don't need a back up firearm. If you can't kill Yogi with a .45-70, a shotgun isn't going to help.
Old October 17, 2009, 12:21 AM   #30
HorseSoldier

+1 on Brenekke slugs.

+0 on buckshot. For terminal defense from a wounded bear, you're not going to get much spread from a shotgun with buckshot (my 870 duty gun does 5" at 10 yards with 00 buck) to compensate for aiming errors, and you're giving up a whole lot of penetration and solid thump. Blacks may be more forgiving than browns, being smaller and all, but up here in AK slugs are pretty much the industry standard for bear defense in a shotgun.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:11 PM   #31
RMcL

Don't knock BIG Buckshot!

If you have not tried BIG Buckshot like the Dixie Tri-Ball 3" don't make the mistake of comparing it to the little stuff like 000B (.350 / 65 grains) or 00B (.325 / 52 grains). When you turn loose three .60 caliber hard cast 315 grain buckshot its a different ballgame! Tri-Ball also shoots to point of aim at 40 yards from most vent rib 870 shotguns.
Old October 17, 2009, 03:55 PM   #32
Edward429451

Quote:
Shotguns (especially smooth bores) are difficult to get accuracy from with slugs unless equipped with real sights.
Somebody forgot to tell me that. Foster slugs from my 18" barrel with bead sight are usable out to 50 or 60 yards even in my non champion hands.

The secret is to shoulder the SG like a (gasp) rifle and then it will work. Heck, I was hittin a 12 X 24 pc of sheet metal at 100 yds with the same setup after I walked em in and adjusted for it. But in this case the target will be coming closer so should be easier to hit (even with the 45/70)
Old October 17, 2009, 04:14 PM   #33
rjsixgun

A 45-70 has more than enough power to drop a bear, even if your useing black powder, remember the 45-70-405 was a buffallo killer in the turn of the century, it still is in the year 2009. What type action are you useing to hunt bear? If its a lever gun then a quick follow up shot is no problem.

As for a back up 12 gauge......SLUGS!!!! and use a shot gun that has sights, I dont mean a brass bead either, I mean rifle sights or ghost ring sights. Williams makes some really nice Fire Sights that will really grab your eye fast in the woods in low light conditions. I'd stay away from Buck shot....its a BEAR, not a buck. I never heard of any dangerious game guides ever useing buck shot......Its always been a BIG BORE GUN. Even Howdah Pistols used a single large projectile to kill a tiger or lion if it tried to climb the back of an elephant and get into the Howdah Basket.......Hence the name Howdah Pistol.

Bird shot.........again its a BEAR, not a bird.

Good luck on your hunt.

Dont worry about recoil.....you aint gonna notice it if a bear is charge'n you, recoil will be the last thing on your mind.
Old October 19, 2009, 02:18 AM   #34
Positrack

Quote 300Magman:
"I wonder would 3.5" buckshot loads firing more lead but at slower velocity have a longer "more push like" recoil than the 3" buckshot with significantly less lead going several hundred fps faster."

I've tried several varieties of both 3" and 3.5" 00 buck loads out of curiosity/"fun", and I'll tell you the 3.5s are not in any way softer shooting. They pound you hard. The 3" mags are bad, the 3.5s are worse. I've by no means tried all that's out there, but that's been my experience. However, like rjsixgun said, I'm not sure you'd notice the recoil much if you had a bear charging you or your buddy.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:15 PM   #35
RMcL

40 yard Tri-Ball Pattern 0n 8pt.

How about this 40 yard pattern:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8pointtriball_th.jpg (83.1 KB, 23 views)
Old March 22, 2010, 04:20 PM   #36
NoSecondBest

You guys only need one gun...and let your buddy use it

Give your buddy the gun and you carry a good hard stick. If he hits one and it comes at you don't worry about the bear. Just hit your buddy real hard on the knee cap with the stick and run like hel*. The bear will get your buddy when he can't run because of the bad knee and you'll be OK.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:44 PM   #37
Uncle Ben

I understand the point that many of you have made about the primary gun being more than enough, but if there are two of them out on the hunt, I see no reason that the 2nd guy should not have an adequate gun and ammo that will take the bear out also. Why not?

If a bear is charging you, you'll be glad that you are both able to take shots to increase your chances, especially under stress.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:47 PM   #38
beardenbc

.450 Bush FTW.
Old March 22, 2010, 05:08 PM   #39
BlackFeather

Last spring I brought my 30-30 and my friend had my shotgun loaded with 3" Winchester slugs as a back up. I have shot an 870 with just the front bead and I prefer my ghost ring sight over it.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 22, 2010, 05:31 PM   #40
Carne Frio

Brennekes are the way to go. Even Walmart and grocery stores sell them here.
Old March 22, 2010, 07:51 PM   #41
mete

The best 45-70 round I think is the Win Partition [300 Nosler Partition] ,you'll get penetration and expansion !!.I've heard the Hornady expands too quickly.
Slugs only for the 12 ga.Remember you have to get into the vitals .Have you ever seen a 400 lb bear at close range ? I have at 15' they're BIG .I was ignored as usual as it was not hunting season and he had his GF along !
Old March 22, 2010, 10:41 PM   #42
bobelk99

If it's 'backup', two rounds 00 buck followed by slug.

Backup shooting gets real awkward real quick.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:47 PM   #43
jay1012

S&P ar flatop gasblock pin removal

Anyone know? Left to right? Right to left. I hope its left to right because I've got it sticking out one eighth and soaking overnite. To try again tommorow, before I resort to cutting it off and buying a aftermarket block.
Wanting to freefloat. thanks for any useful input.