The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Farmhand

Montana Gold Handgun Load Data Sources

I have just about got all my reloading equipment and from my research it looks like Montana Gold Bullets are good and they have good service. So I am thinking about using their bullets. I will be loading 38 Super, 357 & 41 Mag, 10mm and maybe some 45 LC. Is there a recommended reloading manual for loads for these plated bullets I have the Speer Manual. I have good things about lyman for cast bullets - which may work for the plated MG bullets.

Would appreciate advice on a 2nd reloading manual.
Old March 7, 2010, 11:47 AM   #2
alloy

I use three of their products, but aren't they all jacketed instead of plated?
Old March 7, 2010, 04:34 PM   #3
That'll Do

Montana Gold bullets are jacketed, *not* plated.

I use Speer/Hornady/Sierra data for working up loads with Montana Gold bullets.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Farmhand

okay

So I can use sierra or barnes data for these MG Jacked Bullets as long as they are the same shape and weight; e.g. 115 FMJ loads for Sierra Bullets would work with 115 FMJ Montana Golds. Sorry for seeming confused.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:08 PM   #5
alloy

That method has worked for me, and proceeding with typical caution.

LEE data lists generic jacketed bullets...so that's a help.
Handloads.com as well, but I view those with a squinted eye until I can match it up somewhere.
Old March 7, 2010, 08:05 PM   #6
BigJimP

Yes, you can use jacketed bullet data - because they are jacketed... You're safe using data for Hornady, Sierra, etc jacketed data...

Bullets like Berry's are plated ( not jacketed ) / Rainier are plated as well - and you can't use full jacketed info for either of them. For Rainier you need to use Lead bullet data. For Berry's you can use 10% less than jacketed bullet data / but not over 1200 fps for either...
Old March 7, 2010, 11:26 PM   #7
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmhand
So I can use sierra or barnes data for these MG Jacked Bullets as long as they are the same shape and weight; e.g. 115 FMJ loads for Sierra Bullets would work with 115 FMJ Montana Golds. Sorry for seeming confused.
Yes, that is correct. Match up a similar shape and the same weight, and you're good to go.

And there is no need to apologize!
There are so many different types of bullets, and lots of suppliers, that it can get confusing, particularly if you are relatively new to handloading/reloading.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:02 AM   #8
l98ster

I like the Montana Gold Bullets also. I reload the 125 JHP for .357 with good results.
As far as reloading data is concerned, I agree with everyone else. I use data from other larger manufacturers with good SAFE results.
If your reloading manual list BC (Ballistic Coeficient) of a particular round, try to match that as close as possible also. I might just be anal, but I try to be as accurate as posible.
A chrony tells the tale anyway. Dont be surprised if the chrony results are different from the reloading manual.
-George