The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 1, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Shipman515

Georgia CC Legality Question

Hey y'all,

To those of you who know the Georgia carry laws better than I, I had a question. On many nights I work in a restaurant from 10:30pm to 4am, alone (except for a cook in the back). I haven't been carrying there because I wasn't sure about the legality. Is there anything that should prevent me from carrying? I'd feel much better about being alone in a restaurant if I were able to carry my LCP or Smith J frame. I don't know why I hadn't looked into it sooner, but for some reason I just felt that I shouldn't carry.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Get a Georgia firearms license. Just apply at your county Probate court.

Theoretically, you can carry in your place of work without one, provided that it's authorized by the owner. However, it's a good idea to have the license, anyhow. You never know when you'll need to carry a sidearm elsewhere.
Old March 1, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Doesn't it need to be authorized by the business owner regardless of whether or not you have a CCW permit? Or are there some states where private business owners *have* to allow permit holders carry concealed to on their premises?
Old March 1, 2010, 07:27 PM   #4
cbm1948

Georgia Carry Laws

This will either answer your question or confuse you more.

Clint
Old March 1, 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Doesn't it need to be authorized by the business owner regardless of whether or not you have a CCW permit?
With or without a permit, yes.
Old March 1, 2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Shipman515

Yeah I have a permit. My question was more geared toward whether I needed to request permission from my employer. Sorry for not clarifying. So what is the verdict? Do I need permission or not?
Old March 1, 2010, 09:06 PM   #7
wally626

cbm1948 is right the Georgia laws will confuse you.

It looks like you can carry in a Restaurant as long as it is not a bar and as long as you do not drink alcohol with a carry permit. You can carry in your place of business without a permit, but one would assume, that would require that you are doing so with permission of the owner or management, but it is not explicitly stated as far as I could see, but the laws of Georgia are not very clear.

So you have two options ask permission and carry with the owners blessing, or don't ask-don't tell.