The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 26, 2010, 06:20 PM   #1
UpandAtIt

Can this SW bobbed hammer be made DA/SA

JGsales.com has some S&W Model 64 with a "BOBBED" hammer. Can a spurred hammer be replaced on this model to make it a DA/SA?

Would it be a standard "K" frame hammer?

Does the trigger need to be changed as well to change it from DAO to DA/SA?

The online ad for these below.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....c95cbfa904fa77
Old February 28, 2010, 07:53 PM   #2
saands

Not sure about the S&W, but the Ruger GP100 conversions are just the hammer ... a part that Ruger won't sell you, but will replace at the factory. At least there is a potential for it to work.

Hope this helps,

Saands
Old February 28, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3
jdscholer

I purchased one of these J&G revolvers, and wondered the same thing; or rather how much it would cost.

Frankly however, it is such a sweet shooter DA that I don't really feel the need anymore. I've been getting into the "DA Thing" for the last year or so, and I finally get it. Do yourself a favor and learn it. I swear to God it will improve your SA shooting. jd
Old February 28, 2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Malamute

I believe just the hammer is needed to make it standard DA/SA again. In any event, decent used Smith parts arent very expensive. I've bough excellent hammers for $20-$25, and triggers for $10-$18. Most of the ones I've swapped have dropped right in if they have been fitted to another gun (used parts), a 'Smith has told me that's been his experience for the most part also. Brand new unfitted parts need fitting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-