The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2010, 10:44 PM   #26
45Gunner

Don't do a lot of revolver shooting as I like the semi-auto. However, got a new shooting buddy that swears by the .357 wheel gun. He showed me how he can load his six round faster than a speed loader just as shown in the video.

For now, I'll stick with the speed loader but will make the transition when I get comfortable with a wheel gun. Practice, practice and some more practice. Just goes to show you can indeed teach a new dog old tricks. I'm beginning to really enjoy my .357 wheel gun.
NRA Life Member
Old February 21, 2010, 06:19 AM   #27
Revelation76

8 round speed strip for a 5 round revolver

I really like the motto of one of the local tactical supply companies in my area,"Overkill never fails". It helps me to make sure that all my bases are covered, and covered well, though I'm quite a novice, I'm learning.

After purchasing a 5 round speed strip and belt pouch, I was doing some brainstorming about how I could maximize my ability to reload in a crisis situation. I don't want to grip the tiny little tab, and certainly not the removable bullets while trying to rapidly reload my revolver.(maybe with blood on my hands? or in rain?)
Loading a 6 round strip with 5 rounds is good, but 5 rounds in an 8 round speed strip is SO much better ergonomically, and concealment is hardly affected since the profile is so thin anyways.
I convinced myself to buy the 8 rounder after trying out my 5 rounder with only 2 rounds in it. I had a really secure grip on it, that was impossible before. I happen to use the new TUFF products line that's mentioned on this thread. Good stuff.
My preference is to put only one speed strip in the speed strip pouch or otherwise it approaches the width of a speed loader and defeats the purpose of having a slim profile to begin with.
The different size strips and pouches are all priced the same as well, so that's a nice bonus.

Last edited by Revelation76; February 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:34 AM   #28
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Good way to carry a few extra rounds for a revolver, but "speedy" they are NOT.
I carry speed strips and while they are not as fast as a speedloader, they are quicker than reloading by a single round.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:36 AM   #29
OIF2

I've always carried a speed strip or 2 with my 5-shot in LA. There has been more than one Officer involved off-duty shooting where the copper shot his 5 rounds and didn't have a reload.
Bob

Old February 21, 2010, 04:08 PM   #30
charliechalmers

Speed Strips fit great in a shorts pocket, and while not super fast to reload it's better to have a reload and not need it then not to have and need it.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:32 PM   #31
sakeneko

I own a couple of speed strips -- tried them at the suggestion of Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged. (I'd just ordered a holster from him.) I also have speed loaders. The short answer is that speed strips are easier to carry, but slower to load, than speed loaders. They're quite a bit faster than loose ammunition, but I don't find it inconvenient to carry speed loaders -- they fit well in pants pockets or other places and aren't particularly obvious. Since I carry a 5-shot revolver for self defense, I decided that the slight extra awkwardness of speed loaders was more than worth it for the second or two extra speed I get out of reloading.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:38 PM   #32
TenRing

I have been using Bianchi Speed Strips for over 20 years. I have also used the newer Tuff Strips and they work just as well. My strips always have all six or eight positions loaded and I find that I can handle them and load two chambers at a time pretty fast that way. Even with a five shot revolver, I often carry an eight round speed strip fully loaded and it is a good way to have plenty of ammo quickly accessible.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:24 PM   #33
drail

I finally got some of the .44 Spl. strips and I really like them compared to a bulky speedloader with .44s. Lay flat in my pocket and load fast enough for me. Wish Bianchi could have done this way back when. The 12 ga. strips look interesting too.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:43 PM   #34
Viper225

I carry a 638 Bodyguard most of the time. I found my Safariland speed loaders to be too bulky in the pocket for concealed carry. I got 4 of the Tuff Speed Strips from Midway.

I have 2 jackets custom set up for carry. A holster pocket on the left side for a Nemisis pocket holster. On the Right I have a pocket handcuff size lower and above that 2 pockets that are Speed Strip size. I keep 2 strips in each jacket. I just put the 638 in which ever jacket I am wearing.
This set up is 100% discreat. No one ever notices that I am carrying. With the speed strips I always have 10 extra rounds with me.

I have not done a timed comparison between a Speed Loader and the Speed Strips. I will have to do that timed test at the range. I am guessing about 1 thru 1.5 seconds difference in favor of the speed loaders.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:46 AM   #35
The Great Mahoo

I finally got a set of Tuff strips for my 327 magnum and love them. I had some for my .357, but was out of luck when I switched to the .327 until somewhat recently. I absolutely love them!

Speed Strips may not be as quick as speed loader, but they are much more convenient to carry, and don't have to worry about indexing problems with the grips of the gun; my Eagles on my Sp101 can contort the speedloaders if I am not in the exact position w/ the cylinder.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:13 PM   #36
treg

Speed strips allow a top off of the cylinder. Can't do that w/ a speed loader, gotta dump them all.

I've shot at a deer, cocked my gun, lowered the hammer as a developing shot moved away, then cocked and fired another shot. Now I've skipped a round and the ammo in the speed loader is useless. Buh-bye speed loaders, plus they're bulky.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:06 AM   #37
Revelation76

Tuff Speed Strip Pouches - Bad stitching

I've used my pouch every day for about two months and the border stitching has come unraveled. I bought two, and my second one has started unraveling after 2 days of use. Not pleased.
Old April 4, 2010, 12:35 PM   #38
Capt Charlie
Staff

I've used speed strips for decades. While they're not as fast as speed loaders, with a little practice, they can come close, and they are a lot easier to carry in your pocket.

The biggest mistake I've seen people make using strips is trying to chamber one round at a time. Starting at either end, I twist off two at a time, flip the strip to the other end and strip off those two, and finish twisting off the middle two.

With a little practice, you can do a reload in a tad over two seconds.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 4, 2010, 10:07 PM   #39
BillCA

Quote:
I've used my pouch every day for about two months and the border stitching has come unraveled. I bought two, and my second one has started unraveling after 2 days of use. Not pleased.
Try contacting Tuff products. Their "about" page says they want you to be pleased....

Our Mission is to surprise you with product value; quality and simply a fair price as well as provide great customer service before and after the sale.

Quote:
Being a small business we don’t have the advertising budgets of the large holster companies to get you to try our products. One of our strengths is our ability to rapidly design prototype holsters, cases and pouches. We do this in days instead of the weeks and months of larger companies that keep us at the fore front our industry. When you purchase from us just know that our goal is to make you happy with product design, function, quality and great customer service before and after the sale.

Give us a chance to earn your business so that you can and will stay and refer our Tuff Products Brand with confidence.
The snap on one of mine wouldn't close easily and they just sent me a replacement with no muss or fuss.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:45 AM   #40
MDB

Are the Tuff Products made in China?