The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 7, 2010, 05:29 PM   #1
rrp

DPMS 308 jamming

I just took my new DPMS 308 out for it's first range session. The rifle shoots better than I do, but it jams everytime it gets to the next to the last round in the mag. It does it with both mags that came new from DPMS. It doesn't seem to matter if I load the mags with 5 rounds or all 19 rounds. Does anyone know if these mags are known for this? I see that DPMS has a sale on 308 Magpul mags going on right now. Maybe they know of a problem with their own mags?
Old February 7, 2010, 05:55 PM   #2
BrthrB

I've got an LR308 AP4 that I have had zero malfunctions with. I've not heard of or experienced any issues with their magazines.

I can't remember if DPMS suggests a "break-in" period or not. That being said, i'm not sure what to tell you at this point.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Jimro

Sounds like weak springs. Dissassemble the mags, stretch the springs, reassemble. See if that fixes the problem.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old February 7, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4
noyes

What type , brand ammo are you useing ? Did you clean and oil the mags. before use ?
Old February 7, 2010, 06:05 PM   #5
uncyboo

Quote:
Sounds like weak springs. Dissassemble the mags, stretch the springs, reassemble. See if that fixes the problem.
What he said.....
Old February 7, 2010, 06:15 PM   #6
foghorn leghorn

call 1-800-578-3767 ask for replacement mags, or you can attempt to recurve the lipps on the mags to raise the forward part of the lip which will allow the nose of the round to clear the edge of the magazine. Their are two tabs which could use filing, which have no use except to hold in the follower. They get caught on the case when the lips haven't been recurved. Don't put too much torque on the lips, they can break off. Brownell's has a tool specific to ar-15s for this purpose, but I think you can do it with some long needle nose pliers.
p-mag has a great mag on midways site for 18 dollars. Just buy three mags and leave the ones that came with the rifle alone.
this issue has been common knowledge for a while, but what do I know.
Old February 7, 2010, 06:57 PM   #7
kemassey

Go to the DPMS website and find the forum. There is a post that I read today under the .308 rifle section that has to do with jamming and not feeding the last round. Seems the magpul mags fix the problem or C Products mags will work also. A lot of people complained about the same problem. I have new 308AP4 on the way and am wondering if I will have the same problem. Hope this helps.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:04 AM   #8
jon7400

There was a bad batch of 308 magazines that left the factory with our rifles that caused jamming problems. That is most likely what would be causing your issue if everything else has been checked as far as lubrication on the carrier and what-not.

Give Shane or Mark a call in the Repair Department at 1-800-578-3767 and they should be able to get you up and running pretty quickly by phone. If not, they'll have all the info to either send your mags in for replacement or rifle/upper in for warranty repair.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:00 PM   #9
x60820

I was just going to ask about this issue. The last two rounds are jamming on my AP4 also.

I'll see if the PMAGS fix the problem.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:36 PM   #10
goodspeed(TPF)

Tagged. Keep us posted. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 21, 2010, 06:31 PM   #11
hollowpoint2010

could be a couple things mabey?

I just bought a dpms LR308 myself and have had some feeding issues as well. I had two different problems with mine. The first problem was the bolt passing right over the next round and not loading it into the chamber. The second problem was the bolt jammed and half loaded a round so it kinda cocked it. I actually had to pry the bolt back to get it free again. So I called dpms last week to pick there brains and see if they could point me in the right direction to fix the problems. First, they do have a break in process to follow which is on the last page of the manual that came with your gun, follow that if you didn't already. Second I was told it could be the type of oil I was using in the gun which was typical rem oil at the time. They said that oil is waaay to thing and basicly evaporates causing your gun to basicly run dry and does you no good. They said to use something like miltec thats a synthetic and alot thicker. Lastly they suggested trying it once it's been oiled correctly and if I still have the same problem try switching the mag. If the problem STILL persists to call them back. Since then my gun has been at the gunsmith having a few odds n ends done to it and I have yet to recieve it back. As soon as I do get it back I'm running right to the range to try it out again and I'll let you know how I made out. Just my $0.02
Old February 21, 2010, 06:37 PM   #12
Toxdoc

I have an DPMS LR-308L. I had this problem.

When I compared the feed lips on the DPMS magazine to my C-products mags, the bullet nose is held much lower on the DPMS mags. Using a plier and going very slowly, I adjusted the feed lips until the bullet nose was a touch higher. This solved my feed issue and I actually used the magazine in a 3 Gun competition without any issues.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:39 PM   #13
DnPRK

Disassemble mags. Trim the molding flash off the edges of the followers. Scrub the inside of the mag bodies with steel wool to remove the roughness. Lightly lube the inside of the mag bodies and reassemble the mags
Old February 22, 2010, 07:55 AM   #14
lmccrock

Quote:
There was a bad batch of 308 magazines that left the factory with our rifles that caused jamming problems. That is most likely what would be causing your issue if everything else has been checked as far as lubrication on the carrier and what-not.

Give Shane or Mark a call in the Repair Department at 1-800-578-3767 and they should be able to get you up and running pretty quickly by phone. If not, they'll have all the info to either send your mags in for replacement or rifle/upper in for warranty repair.
I am a fan of the manufacturer fixing things, and DPMS has been public about the bad batch. I think I got some of the bad ones, and I need to run through the rest of mine and give DPMS a chance to make it right. After that - Pmags.

Quote:
I see that DPMS has a sale on 308 Magpul mags going on right now. Maybe they know of a problem with their own mags?
Answered, but DPMS sells lots of accessories not made by them.

Lee