The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 13, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1
thekyrifleman

Marlin 39A Wal Mart Commemorative

I have a Marlin 39A that Wal Mart had as a commemorative in 1997..."Wildlife Forever". It's NIB. Fancy chekering and some engraving with gold inlays. I'm considering selling. Anyone have an idea of its' value?? Thanks!
Old February 13, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Because you don't see these types of limited edition commemoratives come up for sale all that often, pricing can be tough.

A good resource would be to call Cherry's and ask them. They specialize in commemoratives and are experts.

http://www.cherrys.com/
Old February 13, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3
thekyrifleman

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do.
Old February 14, 2010, 01:32 AM   #4
stickhauler

That title had me wondering what's going on. I didn't think there was any need for a gun maker to manufacture a Wal Mart Commemorative gun.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:07 AM   #5
phil mcwilliam

A little bit of marketing advice for when youre selling the Marlin 39a commemorative -incidently, one of the best & most accurate 22 lever guns ever made. Advertising the fact you purchased it at Wal Mart does not add value to the rifle.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:11 AM   #6
trophyrider

Quote:
Advertising the fact you purchased it at Wal Mart does not add value to the rifle.
Why is that? Is there a separate production line at Marlin for making Wal-Mart products or does Wal-Mart get seconds from the manufacturer? Why would the value of a rifle depend on where you bought it?
Old February 14, 2010, 09:13 AM   #7
CajunBass

Quote:
Advertising the fact you purchased it at Wal Mart does not add value to the rifle.
It doesn't matter one bit. A Marlin 39a is a Marlin 39a.

The Wally World Special 10/22 is well thought of.

Quote:
That title had me wondering what's going on. I didn't think there was any need for a gun maker to manufacture a Wal Mart Commemorative gun.
Remington made a run of "Sam Walton" 20 Ga 1100's.

A gun manufacturer would make as many "CajunBass Specials" as I was willing to pay for.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 14, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8
thekyrifleman

I guess I need to explain a bit more. It is a Marlin 39A...but technically the model number is 39AWL...WL is for "Wildlife Forever". Evidently Wal Mart commissioned Marlin in 1997 to manufacture this for them. Only 2000 made and were available in select stores across the country. As I mentioned in the first post, it has fancy walnut, checkering, engraving with gold inlay and a half octagon barrel. Serial number for this one is under 1000. Since it has been sitting in the original box for years and I'm itching to start a custom gun project, the thought of selling came to mind.

Last edited by thekyrifleman; February 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:05 PM   #9
salvadore

I wouldn't pay any attention to the retail snobs. I'll give ya whatcha paid for it.
Old February 14, 2010, 07:57 PM   #10
thekyrifleman

Thanks Salvadore...after some more investigation, I think I'll keep it a while longer.