The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 10, 2010, 08:51 PM   #26
Technosavant

Quote:
mm-hmm...I dare anyone to show me an AR that can fire 100 straight rounds without becoming a jam-a-matic...
I hope you're joking. If your experience is solely with ARs that start jamming at under 100 rounds, you really ought to try out one that's worth having.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:29 PM   #27
88KEYS

AR-15

I did not think about the Mini-14, I had one years ago and had to sell it to buy something else but did keep a bunch of magazines. I think that when one comes along will buy it, love the 223 and it is a good rifle. I have the Alexander Arms in 50 Beowulf and that is what I really like about the AR platform is the versatility. Just buy an upper and you have a new gun, the Beowulf is a true powerhouse. The ammo cost a ton but load for all my guns so it is not that bad.

If an AR-15 jams after 100 rounds, something is wrong with it likely a magazine issue.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:46 PM   #28
Suwannee Tim

Quote:
I think what you really want is a Ruger Mini-14 in .223.
:barf:
Old February 11, 2010, 12:16 AM   #29
ratshooter

I have a new 580 series mini-14 and I will say with this rifle no accu-strut type device is needed. Mine has the new tapered barrel. I have seen no POI change after the barrel gets hot. And when I shoot it it gets hot. I load a 20 round mag and shoot two 10 round groups. I have 9 Pro-Mag steel 20 rounders and they have worked perfectly without a single malfunction.

I would like to brag and say it shoots 1" groups at a hundred but that isn't so. I get between 2 and 3" groups. Its the best I can shoot with open sights. I haven't put a scope on it and don't plan on it in the future. It does just what I wanted it for without optics. If you buy a mini only buy the newest models.

I shot my new Remington model seven with open sights when it was new. The best I could do was between 2-3" at a hundred. Now it has a scope and 1" groups are the norm for it.

I don't have an AR. Not yet. I look at them at every gunshow I go to but they never have the style I want. There is a GS this weekend in Ft Worth and I may go and buy a stripped lower and order a Del-Ton kit. I really want an A2 buttstock with a 20" barrel. I like the way the old guns look. I have to have a carry handle too. A triangle forearm would be nice. A lightweight barrel also. I don't want a 9 pound AR. I think ARs are a lot more reliable than they are given credit for.

Every time I watch Platoon or Southern Comfort I get the bug for one of the retro style guns.

A village in Kenya called. They want their idiot back.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:51 AM   #30
KevinBeyerJr

Dumb Question?

First and foremost, I am actually shocked that this thread made it to 2 pages.

Okay, this may be the dumbest question yet, but I need to ask to avoid going the wrong route about this build. I am still leaning towards going the mini-14 route, and I am curious if I were to go with a Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle-Hogue as seen on: http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14...gue/index.html , it implys that that rifle is more accurate, which I could be the gullible one to believe that. If anyone knows otherwise let me know. Now back on track. If I take that rifle and change the stocks, or have someone more knowledgeable do it, and place it in a stock such as this one: http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054094229104a.shtml , wouldn't that be adequate. I am aware that with going with that rifle, I won't have the barrel sights that are customary for that brand, but if it is for the better accuracy wise, then it would be worth it.

By the Way, I am just trying to build this out in my head and then compare the price to if I were to go the AR route.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:16 AM   #31
MosinM38

Truthfully, I don't know the ATI stock, never seen one.

As for the target rifle...I dunno....I guess I didn't know Ruger had tried to put out a target version of it!

I quickly googled and found:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Mini14Target.htm

Also a few independant reports of 1" or under groups...So apparently it works.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:59 AM   #32
firespectrum

If you go the Mini 14 road I'd suggest getting a new one. If you go used, shop carefully because the older Mini-14's have very thin barrels. I don't shoot Minis but I hear the target version is very accurate. But if you can afford the Mini-14 target version, you can afford a good AR-15.
Old February 11, 2010, 09:08 AM   #33
gotigers

Quote:
mm-hmm...I dare anyone to show me an AR that can fire 100 straight rounds without becoming a jam-a-matic...
mine. I have shot hundreds of rounds out of my S&W AR15 in a single day without jams. I cant think of any jams since i've owned it. about a year. Granted, i am no pro or operator. I am a recreational shooter, but still. I trust my AR.
Old February 11, 2010, 09:35 AM   #34
Moloch

That should be sufficient for your needs!
Old February 11, 2010, 02:13 PM   #35
KevinBeyerJr

Mini 14 Target

I am noticing that Mini 14 target rifles are anywhere from $650-$850 new. Still far under the AR prices.

Tags
ar15 , assault rifle , dpms