The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2010, 06:38 PM   #26
SigP6Carry

Oh, I have time to shoot it. Once it stops snowing. And I've got 50 rounds of S&B 00 Buck on the way, as well as 200 rounds of Winchester #9 target rounds.

Thanks for the help and advice.
I'll be going with a Skeet, Mod and Full as my three chokes for now. Down the road I'll probably pick up an 18.5" barrel and heatsheild for it (for HD, but I really don't plan on doing that anything soon). Maybe get a slug barrel and scope at some point.

Don't plan on hunting, but if I do decid to, I think this Mossy 500 is the best thing I could have in Il.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:00 PM   #27
SigP6Carry

fired off 75 rounds today. No misfires, two FTEs, no FTFs and I shoot trap terribly. about 37/75 with only two or three clean breaks. Shoulder hurts like hell, though, and that was with light target loads. Gotta try some 3" shells soon.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:06 PM   #28
oneounceload

Quote:
Shoulder hurts like hell, though, and that was with light target loads. Gotta try some 3" shells soon.
Why??? If light target loads hurt a lot, 3" will hurt that much more. It seems your gun does not fit you properly and subsequent abuse will only lead to a great flinch. It appears some adjustments are necessary
Old February 10, 2010, 09:48 PM   #29
SigP6Carry

I've been pampered, prior to this, I've shot mostly semi-auto 1100's, so I'm used to a shotgun that doesn't kick AT ALL. Way I see it, I just gotta learn to hold it tighter and keep it cupped in my shoulder. I gotta not be a pansy, is what it comes to.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:56 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I gotta not be a pansy, is what it comes to.
Yeah, That likely sums it up pert-near spot on
Brent
Old February 10, 2010, 10:44 PM   #31
Magnum Mike

Something isnt right! My daughter was shooting 150 12 ga target loads in a day when she was 12 without issues. either your fit is wrong or your not doing something right. You are really looking for abuse if you go to 3" shells when your target loads beat you up!
Old February 11, 2010, 02:31 AM   #32
SigP6Carry

well, the "I gotta use 3" shells was more of a "beating my chest" type deal. The fact is: it's (literally) the first time I've shot a pump action since I was 10 (and I'm 23). So I don't know how to handle it. With 1100's, I was fine. But, I'll learn to deal with the shotguns with 2 3/4 and 3" shells and I'll learn to shoot skeet and trap and handle a shotgun.

And, maybe your 12 y/o is tougher than me. I am a wuss.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:50 AM   #33
colostomyclown

looks like somebody stained the stock aftermarket. I think it looks pretty cool, if not a little crude. You did ok. The crack in the stock isn't a huge deal, it's pretty hairline. It may getn worse overtime, but so what? the gun is NOT a beaut, but that's exactly WHY it IS a beaut. take it out and shoot it until either your trigger finger hurts, you're slipping and falling on spent hulls, or the gun actually become voiced by Gilbert Gottfried and screams at you to stop. A new stock isn't going to cost anywhere near 86 dollars if you look hard enough. NHothing wrong with synthetic either, it is a lot cheaper and a lot durable.

That said, I prefer wood as far as looks and feel and have it on some of my guns.