The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Bird3897

Need advice on new shotgun

I would like to get into a new semi-auto 12ga shotgun and I'm not sure what to get. I would like something capable of 3.5" but will shoot 2.75" target/skeet loads reliably. I once owned a remington 1187 but it jammed a lot with the 2.75" skeet loads (cheap stuff). I will be shooting mostly skeet loads but may use it for turkey and possibly buckshot for deer. I've looked at a Urika and some Winchesters but I'm worried they won't reliably cycle cheap target loads. Any suggestions??
Old January 25, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
BigJimP

In terms of a gun cycling "cheap loads" ... assuming they aren't out of round or mis-shaped in some way .... the only reason I've seen them not cycle in a semi-auto is they were too "light a load" in terms of the velocity of the shell.

Many semi-autos want a 3 Dram Eq shell / or at least 1200 fps / maybe 1225 fps to cycle reliably.

Keeping your semi-auto clean and well lubed will also make a big difference.

My favorite semi-auto is the Benelli / for Skeet and Sporting Clays I like the Super Sport model ( synthetic stock, comfort tech recoil system in it in a 12ga or 20ga). It has a lot of adjustability in it / pop off recoil pads, change the comb insert, plush shims between the stock and receiver ...but that gun new in my area is around $ 1,875.

Beretta 390 / 391 series guns have been real reliable - again if you keep them clean and well lubed. But the new Browning semi-autos are getting good reviews, etc ....
Old January 25, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Bird3897

I was also thinking about going with browning BPS pump if I decide not to go automatic. Anyone here have experience with a BPS? Not sure if I would like the bottom ejection but they seem very well built.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:03 PM   #4
BigJimP

Yes, I own a couple of BPS's one in 12ga / one in 20ga..... They are very strong guns, cast neutral and the bottom ejection makes them easy for a left or right handed shooter.

The models I have are the "Hunter" - both in 28" barrels.

I think I bought them in the late 1970's - and I shot a lot of Trap with it in those days / and a lot of birds. I've since gone to O/U's as my primary guns for Skeet, Sporting Clays and bird hunting - but I still like shooting my pump guns once in a while ....for Skeet or Sporting or even some hunting..
Old January 25, 2010, 07:42 PM   #5
lambertsteeth

If the money doesn't kill you, get a Benelli. The most reliable shotguns out there. I've got one with over 20,000 rounds through it. Another with 6,000. Neither gun has had a SINGLE mechanical failure. I've had Remington, Winchester, Beretta. Benelli kicks their teeth in. I know guys that have been duck hunting, dropped them in the river. Fished them out, dumped the water out, kept hunting with no failures. They are the AK47s of the shotgun world.
Old February 7, 2010, 04:51 PM   #6
OldFool

Buy a Remington 11-87 and a set of light recoil springs. If you have trouble cycling light loads just put in a lighter spring, it takes about 3 minutes.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:33 PM   #7
zippy13

Greetings OldFool, and welcome aboard.
Quote:
Buy a Remington 11-87 and a set of light recoil springs. If you have trouble cycling light loads just put in a lighter spring, it takes about 3 minutes.
I've never considered it a burden that 1911 pistols have different springs for hardball and bullseye loads. Also, if you want a gun that will shoot shoot cheap Skeet loads and super-mags aren't you going to change your barrel between your target environments? It's a lot to expect a gas gun (or any auto-loader) to digest everything from reduced recoil 2-3/4" target loads to 3-1/2" super boomers without some accommodation. At least, expect to use a barrel with vent area that's in the ball park. The trap and Skeet barrels for 1100s have different vent hole sizes and their difference (basically barrel length) is insignificant when compared to 3-1/2" anti-aircraft rounds. As BigJimP noted, many auto loaders want a 3 Dr Eq, or hotter load to function properly. What good is that?… we all know there's a trend towards lighter and lighter target loads these days, especially in Skeet.